funny: Iowa counties

Jeslek

Banned
rofl, look how them Iowains divided their state into counties. Its almost like a puzzle:

Distmap.jpg

I was born and raised in that fine state, and yes, it is very organized, very flat too. In most parts of the state, if there is not a paved road, there are gravel roads every square mile. As long as you have a compass, you'll never get lost, there's always a cross road a mile ahead.

not sure yet, the whole 'flat as a pancake' think is great though, i want to draw comparisons with my home county and it makes it easier )

is it a mainly agricultural state and is the agriculture visible, things like barns and industri-agri sheds/buildings [silo's etc]?

Agriculture, Yep, you could say that. Most of the state is farmland, corn as far as you can see, only interrupted by silos, grain elevators, and the occasional town. Used to be a bunch of small farms, but unfortunatly, since about the mid-80's, corporations have taken over the small farms and conglomerated several of them. Also a very big pig and cow state, dairy cows to the north, more beef cows to the south.

cool, its the agri-industrial buildings that i'm most interested in referring to. my home county, suffolk, is full of them and i think thy are wonderful :)

Here's a real exciting web page about the virtues of Iowa.

http://www.iowafarmer.com/corncam/ode.htm

:rofl2:

edit: At first I did put the faster rofl but reconsidered my choice of smilie very carefully and in light of the fact that ris' post wasn't that funny I thought it wasn't suitable after all and I have to say a little aggressive so there you go. :retard:

They've got a soybean cam and a dairy cam too, if you're interested.

There is a good reason why counties are so nice and squareish in United States and Canada. Here, land was divided into sections. Each section is 1 mile by 1 mile. Between sections is a road, so you get a land like a checkerboard. For example, we live between 9th line and 10th line (north/south axis), and between 5 and 6 side road (east/west axis). When you buy land, your paper states Section # Subsection #, etc.

Making counties are easy then. Halton Hills strech up to 11th line (also called Winston Churchill street). On the other side you enter another county. If you cross Steeles (0 side road), you enter Mississauga county, well, more of a municipal government now.

In the west, its not uncommon to hear people say "I own 50 quater sections" or whatever.

In England things are different though... Things don't seem to follow a straight line, not even roads. :p

Back