Gas prices...

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
They finally get it right...

Not the most intelligent time to implement this idea, but it is long overdue.

Motorists are driving less and buying less gasoline, which means fuel taxes aren't raising enough money to keep pace with the cost of road, bridge and transit programs.

That has the federal commission that oversees financing for transportation talking about increasing the federal fuel tax.

A 50% increase in gasoline and diesel fuel taxes is being urged by the commission to finance highway construction and repair until the government devises another way for motorists to pay for using public roads.

The National Commission on Surface Transportation Infrastructure Financing, a 15-member panel created by Congress, is the second group in a year to call for increasing the current 18.4 cents a gallon federal tax on gasoline and the 24.4 cents a gallon tax on diesel. State fuel taxes vary from state to state.

In a report expected in late January, members of the infrastructure financing commission say they will urge Congress to raise the gas tax by 10 cents a gallon and the diesel tax by 12 cents to 15 cents a gallon. At the same time, the commission will recommend tying the fuel tax rates to inflation.

Now if they can keep focused, and not squander those funds...

Shhh... don't confuse the politicians. They're already being led down one garden path, intruducing them to the truth now will only confuse them.

theyre just getting in line for the coming handouts that commence in 15 days. dont say you werent warned.

and now for the alternative reality viewpoint, our community zoo anmial will be along to suggest that i am on drugs, thus making it all ok. take it away sir

I'll just go ahead and agree with you on that one. The federal commision is considering raising fuel taxes to make up for lost revenue because they are trying to get handouts from the government.

Makes perfect sense.

People are driving less because gas is (was) overpriced. So, in order to gain more revenue from gas, Uncle Sam wants to raise the price on gas.

Gotta love politicians.

They would probably gain a significant amount of revenue that would far outweigh any losses from any decrease in driving because of the extra 10 cents.

A once-popular bumper sticker says simply, "When Bush took office, gas was $1.46." It was meant to be a slam, but as the end of his eight years approaches, President Bush is seeing gas prices that, adjusted for inflation, are lower than when he was inaugurated.

Washington Times

Okay, what has it been in the meantime? :rolleyes:

BTW, it's gone up a quarter here in the last four days.

I'm running on full.
Got about 120 gallons for backup.
I'll keep running full, 'til it hit's 2.50 again

Anyway...increasing the tax on fuel will have 2 affects.

1. Get people to buy more fuel efficient cars.
2. Get revenue to keep the infrastructure in place.

BTW...most of the fuel tax and road wear does not come from privately-owned automobiles. Just ask Gonz.

Anyway...increasing the tax on fuel will HOPEFULLY have 2 affects.

1. Get people to buy more fuel efficient cars.
2. Get revenue to keep the infrastructure in place.

BTW...most of the fuel tax and road wear does not come from privately-owned automobiles. Just ask Gonz.

1) Only if they're offered at reasonable rates.... the cutting -edge fuel efficient cars are damned expensive and small to boot.

2) Not likely. If your politicians are anything like ours, the tax will go into a slush fund and will be spent on everything BUT infrastructure. Our gas-tax is supposed to go towards roads/highways/bridges/overpasses... but we've got horrible roads/highways/bridges/overpasses

I can tell you that just by the driveway here, that has trucks on it regular.

That weight is rough.
IMO ATM Rails are cheaper.:shrug:

I'm all in on the infrastructure rebuild though.
I have been labeled an isolationist ya know.

1) Only if they're offered at reasonable rates.... the cutting -edge fuel efficient cars are damned expensive and small to boot.

Most smaller, and fuel efficient cars, are much cheaper than their V-8 bretheren. The more expensive models, like VW, Audi, Acura, Infinity, et al, have quality that is very nice. Nobody said they had to be 'cutting edge'. Just fuel efficient.

Bish said:
2) Not likely. If your politicians are anything like ours, the tax will go into a slush fund and will be spent on everything BUT infrastructure. Our gas-tax is supposed to go towards roads/highways/bridges/overpasses... but we've got horrible roads/highways/bridges/overpasses

Most likely, as greed and power can corrupt the most innocent of people. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try, though.

Most smaller, and fuel efficient cars, are much cheaper than their V-8 bretheren. The more expensive models, like VW, Audi, Acura, Infinity, et al, have quality that is very nice. Nobody said they had to be 'cutting edge'. Just fuel efficient.

Most likely, as greed and power can corrupt the most innocent of people. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try, though.

Not as cheap as my v4 and v6 midsized/minivan counterparts tho'
Hell, the Prius is $5-7k more expensive than your average minivan.

Drop the Prius to $17-19k and make it larger and I'll think about it.

Yes.

FAIR TAX AND THE 111TH CONGRESS

The FairTax has been introduced into the 111th Congress as H.R. 25. While that's good news in and of itself, here's some better news. The FairTax is being introduced with more co-sponsors than at any previous Congress. Now why do you think this is? It's because of you .. those of you who are undying in your support of this badly needed tax reform proposal.

Now ... since PEBO is making a big time speech today on the economy, here's a little reminder about the FairTax. PEBO is considering a one trillion dollar stimulus bill. Well, what about a $13 trillion dollar stimulus? Do you think that would work? Well $13 trillion is the best estimate of the amount of money that is floating around in overseas investments, and this is money that belongs to American citizens and corporations. Why is this money working overseas instead of here in this country? Simple: To escape our high tax burdens. Get rid of the income tax and replace it with the FairTax and watch this $13 trillion start to come home and work in our economy .. work producing jobs and expanding domestic wealth. The problem, of course, is the FairTax takes power away from politicians. Politicians will approve almost any scheme for economic recovery - any scheme except one that diminishes their power.

Back