Generic vs. Name Brand

Isn't that Jerky, Tonks.

Claire, didn't you know I'm from Glasgow? Corned Beef hash? Yes please. With Mum's 'tattie and onion fritters.

Professur said:
Isn't that Jerky, Tonks.

Claire, didn't you know I'm from Glasgow? Corned Beef hash? Yes please. With Mum's 'tattie and onion fritters.

Em... no! :ashamed:

THAT explains a shitload... :D

So did you do owt for Rabby Burns' night? Wasn't it Tuesday?

And 'tatties? With out the neaps... sasinack! :p :p :p

Professur said:
Isn't that Jerky, Tonks.

And you brought Lasagne to the BBQ? ;)

That's Glesga, if you don't mind.

The missus is English, and Mum's Irish. Burns day doesn't get much shift.

Stew, do you really think anyone would have eaten haggis? Really?

And it's a mexican lasagna, Claire. The recipe's about here someplace.

ClaireBear said:
And 'tatties? With out the neaps... sasinack! :p :p :p

Do you have any idea of the wierd looks I get for suggesting carving a 'neap lantern? Y'd think I'd fallen off the trolley.

Professur said:

Do you use flour tortillas instead of lasagne sheets and pep up the mince with chilli, salad pepper and kidney beans nd make a nacho cheese instead of bechemel... cos my ex used to make it!

Professur said:
That's Glesga, if you don't mind.

The missus is English, and Mum's Irish. Burns day doesn't get much shift.

Stew, do you really think anyone would have eaten haggis? Really?

I was aiming more for the hash ;)

The scottish side of my family has tried their hardest to get me to eat haggis.....I know whats in it and it shall never pass my lips :)

for pete's sake no! it's not jerkey...it's similiar to a corned beef but without the brine...but it's basically a lightly dried roast which is then thinly sliced.
clicky

ooooooh man. I did a Google Image Search. Don't do it.

It looks as much like vomit as Stroganoff does
*bitchslapping myself cause I should've known better* *puke*

ClaireBear said:
Do you use flour tortillas instead of lasagne sheets and pep up the mince with chilli, salad pepper and kidney beans nd make a nacho cheese instead of bechemel... cos my ex used to make it!

well, no.

Professur said:
well, no.

Oh... so you just add a little chilli tothe bolognese...

Please post the receipt... I've search cos i thought you'd put it on here somewhere but can't find it... :swing:

Unless its a family trade secret...

HomeLAN said:
The only thing I'll eat that's generic is pasta. Other stuff, OK, but not edibles.
I'd forgotten about that. Many times I've found that the generic pasta is far better than the brand name, and I'll buy it cheaper or not.

ClaireBear said:
Oh... so you just add a little chilli tothe bolognese...

Please post the receipt... I've search cos i thought you'd put it on here somewhere but can't find it... :swing:

Unless its a family trade secret...

Odd, I can't find it either.

1-2 pounds of hamburger (sue me, I like meat)
1-2 packets of taco spice (reg or spicy, to taste)
12-15 lasagna noodles
1 pound mozerella cheese
1 pound swiss cheese
1 can spagetti sauce (to taste)
1 can whole tomatos

That's it. Cook the 'burger and taco spice per the instructions on the spice packet. Puree the tomatos. In a large sauce pan, add the suace and tomatos, and heat it. Add the meat once hot, and cover. Turn off heat, but leave it on the ring. Stir from time to time. The longer that mix can sit, the better. I like to make up 2 or 3 lasagnas worth and freeze it. (it's seldom there when I go to make the lasagna tho :confused:)

Grate both cheeses , but keep them separate. Boil the noodles. In a lasagna pan, begin with a layer of sauce, then noodles, sauce, then some of each cheese, then noodles, sauce, cheese, etc. Here's where you really have to be careful. Too much cheese will make it fall apart when you try to serve it. Until the top, where it's noodle, and sauce. Really cover the noodles well. You don't want them to go hard. Bake for 45 mins at 350. Add the top layer of mozerella and bake another 15. Let set before serving. Serve with a green or ceasar salad.

These can be assembled and frozen unbaked for easy meals later (remember the sauce?). But don't add that last layer of cheese until it's done. Actually, if the sauce and noodles are still hot when you're assembling it, it'll melt the cheese, and you only have to top brown the top layer of cheese and serve. It's all already cooked and ready to go.

Ballpark cost is about $30 for a pan. Swiss is damn expensive cheese. You can substitute Montery Jack.

"Equality" generic brand stuff is NASTY

The No Frills generic brands are good though :)

The yellow box stuff, among others. :)

Back