Generic vs. Name Brand

Well, the Jewish deli corned beef sandwich is much better, particularly with tons of grainy mustard on two pieces of good rye bread. I don't eat it all the time, but I have made it once and it was goooood. (You might need to visit NYC to get the real deal. ;) )

Professur said:
And this is why I don't talk Scot anymore. Language barrier.

Lasagna pasta is noodles.
If you don't boil the noodles, it takes hours to bake. Basically, you are boiling them, with the sauce. My way's faster.
If you want to make a home made sauce, go for it. That's to taste. I use Hunts thick and zesty red peppers and chili, and the tomatos are alymer herb and spices. Old Elpaso taco spice, simply as a matter of convienience. The first one I ever made was all by hand.

Ahhhh!

Thanks...

"Noodles!"... world's super power eh? :p

*CB cuts and pastes.. and prints*

Oh... and have you ever tried Canelloni using pancakes?...not pasta (noodles :rolleyes: )

Much lighter... very tasty... another of my ex ex ex's specialities.

abooja said:
Well, the Jewish deli corned beef sandwich is much better, particularly with tons of grainy mustard on two pieces of good rye bread. I don't eat it all the time, but I have made it once and it was goooood. (You might need to visit NYC to get the real deal. ;) )

Yeeah, cos those Irish can't cook for shite. :lloyd:

*remembers the cooked cabbage* ::shudder::

BeardofPants said:

Yes... well... they were traditionally an impoverished nation so their traditional foods... include potatos, potatos,... em.. potatos... the odd onion... potatos.

Those with British history knowledge will remember the Irish potato famine... it pretty well stuffed them as a nation.

BeardofPants said:

Cooked cabbage? A popular dish here is cabbage and lamb, cooked together for a few hours, served with potatoes. Even more popular when leftovers are re-heated and served the next day. Smells like death. Quite good. :D

Now, what I really love, is mashed rutabaga with lotsa pepper, and a generous chunk of butter. Add some mashed carrots, or maybe even some potatoes, serve with salted meat, and I'm in heaven.
--

Oh, and Norway is somewhat of a potato-nation too. Old people are outraged if dinner is served and there's no potatoes. I will never forget that time my ex's granny served spaghetti -and potatoes. :alienhuh:

When a high-profile doctor had the nerve to recommend that people cut back on certain carbohydrates, especially potatoes, the older generation of nutrition experts nearly shit themselves. :D

BeardofPants said:

I dare say Bish might have some harsh words for you.

Boo, what you're describing sounds suspiciously like a good ol' Montreal Smoked Meat.

plate3.jpg

or order lunch delivered

Professur said:
Boo, what you're describing sounds suspiciously like a good ol' Montreal Smoked Meat.

plate3.jpg

or order lunch delivered
That looks like it's served the same way as the corned beef sandwiches I'm familiar with, but, if I'm not mistaken, Jewish delis usually boil the meat. Smoking it, however, seems like it would be a lot more tasty.

Here's a brief history from the famous Carnegie Deli in Manhattan.

most of the time i find the generic to be just as good as the name brand.
we have no product loyalty anyway. we buy whatever is on sale at the time.

Heinz Ketchup

Miracle whip

everything else is open season.

and Smoked meat is so much better than NYC corned beef.

paul_valaru said:
Heinz Ketchup

Miracle whip

everything else is open season.

and Smoked meat is so much better than NYC corned beef.

I'm with ya on the Heinz ketchup...I don't particualrly like miracle whip but any other kind of mayo I'm ok with. BBQ sauce has to be Diana Sauce...it's a different type of BBQ sauce than the kraft and no name ones in the squeeze bottles...so it's more a type than a brand name thing...the squeeze bottle BBQ sauce is only good when it's mixed with weiner bits and microwaved :licklips:

Nixy said:
I'm with ya on the Heinz ketchup...I don't particualrly like miracle whip but any other kind of mayo I'm ok with. BBQ sauce has to be Diana Sauce...it's a different type of BBQ sauce than the kraft and no name ones in the squeeze bottles...so it's more a type than a brand name thing...the squeeze bottle BBQ sauce is only good when it's mixed with weiner bits and microwaved :licklips:

Diana sauce is the bomb, some other ones are as good, but the kraft stuff is crap.

Erik still eats those nasty cardboard pizzas. SOmetimes he gets the name brand, but they recently were recalled for e-coli.

That's Glesga, if you don't mind.

The missus is English, and Mum's Irish. Burns day doesn't get much shift.

Stew, do you really think anyone would have eaten haggis? Really?

And it's a mexican lasagna, Claire. The recipe's about here someplace.

I've eaten haggis - yum!

After years of trying to convince my loved ones to give it a shot, I FINALLY converted me spouse and the walking tax deduction to Duke's mayonnaise instead of that dreadful Kraft stuff. They are still thanking me for it.

Another name brand item I will not compromise on is Cheez-Its. No other cheese cracker shall pass my lips.

I'm becoming partial to Nestle instant cocoa mix after years of thinking the store brand was good enough. After my big surgery over the summer I have discovered that I can't tolerate coffee more than about a cup a month, so when I want something warm to drink it's cocoa. I abhor tea in any form. Yes, that includes the one you're about to tell me I need to try.

After years of trying to convince my loved ones to give it a shot, I FINALLY converted me spouse and the walking tax deduction to Duke's mayonnaise instead of that dreadful Kraft stuff. They are still thanking me for it.

Another name brand item I will not compromise on is Cheez-Its. No other cheese cracker shall pass my lips.

I'm becoming partial to Nestle instant cocoa mix after years of thinking the store brand was good enough. After my big surgery over the summer I have discovered that I can't tolerate coffee more than about a cup a month, so when I want something warm to drink it's cocoa. I abhor tea in any form. Yes, that includes the one you're about to tell me I need to try.

but you should really try...

oh

gotcha

Back