Genetic manipulation

You get to pick your child's sexual orientation before birth:

• Straight

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Gay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bisexual

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Random chance, I don't care what my child's sexual orientation is going to be.

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
In certain things I don't believe in meddling with nature... Now if I carried a fatal genetic illness that only affected males (as most of them do) and my partner also carried the same gene, that would be different. In that case I wouldn't want to impose that on a child and would opt to screen for a female foetus, but not for something trivial.

Vortex said:
well if by some freak accident I do have children, I guess I'd love them enough to not really care which way they swing, they would still be my child, and I'd love them just the same :D

* Changes his name to "freak accident"

Aunty Em said:
In certain things I don't believe in meddling with nature... Now if I carried a fatal genetic illness that only affected males (as most of them do) and my partner also carried the same gene, that would be different. In that case I wouldn't want to impose that on a child and would opt to screen for a female foetus, but not for something trivial.

Look at it this way - what you're doing here is effectively raising your kid's "Quality-of-Life Index". Whether it's eliminating a fault or adding an advantage, you're doing exactly the same thing - reducing the factor of randomness in order to give your kid a better life.

Therefore, if you're ok with editing out non-trivial harmful features, you must also concede others the right to make non-trivial improvements as they see fit. I would have thought that the trivial changes would be less of a problem to accept.

a13antichrist said:
Whether it's eliminating a fault or adding an advantage, you're doing exactly the same thing
Hmm, hadn't really thought of it in that light. Hmm...

Back