Getting into shape...

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Well...after 16 years of Air Force duty, the USAF has finally decided that we, as a military force, are out of shape, so I have to hit the gym at least twice a week. Luckily, we have just such an area in my building. After 3 weeks of this, my bench-press is up to 152 pounds. Not much, but better than the 115 I started with. I also have improved my run time by 5 seconds. Anybody else on an exercise program, forced or otherwise?

Don't say it tonksy. ;)

HeXp£Øi± said:
I had to run to the fridge a half hour ago because my ham sandwich didn't have enough mayo on it.

Duuuude that's gross.

Cold mayo, not mayo itself :D :D

Luis G said:
Duuuude that's gross.

Cold mayo, not mayo itself :D :D

You must not really eat mayo. Warm mayo will kill you. :D It's the last food you want to leave out for a few hours. :D Unless you're talking about ...*Gag*...heating it up.

HeXp£Øi± said:
You must not really eat mayo. Warm mayo will kill you. :D It's the last food you want to leave out for a few hours. :D Unless you're talking about ...*Gag*...heating it up.

Weather-like temperature mayo will do it for me, I dislike it cold.

The label saying that it must be refrigerated after open lies.

Gato_Solo said:
Well...after 16 years of Air Force duty, the USAF has finally decided that we, as a military force, are out of shape, so I have to hit the gym at least twice a week. Luckily, we have just such an area in my building. After 3 weeks of this, my bench-press is up to 152 pounds. Not much, but better than the 115 I started with. I also have improved my run time by 5 seconds. Anybody else on an exercise program, forced or otherwise?

Don't say it tonksy. ;)

You have been in for 16 years eh? Are you a regular or reservist?
What trade do you work as?

I have been in the Canadian Navy for three years now as a reservist but will be transfering to the regular force probably within the year. Being a engineering roundsman I am not forced to work out, but while on course they always supply us with nice equipment. We do have to pass a physical test every two years though.

The Ships I sail on are quite small, actually they are very small compared to our heavys. They are Kingston class minesweepers.
(here is a nice little shot I took a while back of HMCS Kingston http://img12.exs.cx/img12/8259/pdrm00177gq.jpg )

As you can see they aren't very big, so it makes it rather tricky to work out while you're at sea. Most of them that I have sailed on do have a bow flex or similar equipment onboard.

Luis G said:
Weather-like temperature mayo will do it for me, I dislike it cold.

The label saying that it must be refrigerated after open lies.

You must use a different type of maye than us. I know people that have had thier stomach pumped from eating mayo that's been out at room temp for less than 6hours. Stuff like kraft mayo, i don't know if it'll kill you but it'll make you wish you were dead. That's at room temp here which is only like 68 degrees.

HeXp£Øi± said:
You must use a different type of maye than us. I know people that have had thier stomach pumped from eating mayo that's been out at room temp for less than 6hours. Stuff like kraft mayo, i don't know if it'll kill you but it'll make you wish you were dead. That's at room temp here which is only like 68 degrees.

I like McCormick mayonese (the one with the red tap), it survives pretty well for weeks (even months) at kitchen temperature (over 30ºC-90ºF).

Even Hellmann's can take it :shrug:

Gato_Solo said:

Don't say it tonksy. ;)

I was running my Army 2 miles in 9:30ish. What's yer time?

Gato_Solo said:
Don't worry about my time. I'm 42 years old...:p

1 and 1/2 miles in 13:05
gato...that beats my best effort. i used to run my mile and a half in 15:30. i hate to run. i hate hate hate hate hate it. i can run in short spurts. i could hustle up ship ladders in a full FFE while manning a hose but i couldn't jog faster than an elderly librarian....and what i still wanna know is where and when on a navy vessel would i need to jog for a mile and a half?

yah well I was all set to train for a triathalon but then realised its best to think about that thing when you're actually already reasonably fit...:p

Just started a new programme at the gym this week though, I feel great - after working out and all; and that feeling is so easy to forget when you're lazy like me and don't otherwise do anything. Had a 40 min workout this mornin' and am planning to build it to 5x a week - Gotta love those endorphins, its such a natural high....I'm glad I started exercising again :)

:clap:

Gato_Solo said:
Don't worry about my time. I'm 42 years old...:p

1 and 1/2 miles in 13:05
When my dad was your age he and 2 other 40+ sargeants beat all the squaddies in their company on a 20 mile march across the desert in Shajah carrying their packs.

My high water mark was about this time last December when I was doing 60 miles a week and 6 days a week in the gym and home equipment. I had actually trimed down to 194 ... which is a mark I hadn't seen since I was 12. My proper bench was at 375 and my nautilus bench was at 450. My blood pressure was at its lowest point in living memory and I could hike Ghandi into the earth with 10 pounds leg weights on. I was eating about 600 calories of Atkins style goo a day and making it on 5 hours of sleep. I was sharp as a tack... but ready for a fall... which I did.

Did the 1½ in 11 something 8(age of 24) years ago for Wildland Firefighter physical. No way i could do that now. Lots of hiking but i haven't run in years.

i do 2 90+lap 1 hour swims, play football a couple of times and do a session of joga a week. i used to play badminton and do 2-4 mile runs as well but i've got studying commitments.

Luis G said:
I like McCormick mayonese (the one with the red tap), it survives pretty well for weeks (even months) at kitchen temperature (over 30ºC-90ºF).

Even Hellmann's can take it :shrug:

Oh god no. Do you know what GROWS in mayo at room temp?! Jesus, that's why all the jars say "refrigerate after opening". :alienhuh:

Improperly cared for mayonnaise is the number one cause for food borne bacteria (e.coli, et al)

Back