Giant Jesus statue destroyed by lightning

spike

Giant Jesus statue burns to the ground
Only a few wire frames are still standing

Updated: Tuesday, 15 Jun 2010, 8:36 AM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 15 Jun 2010, 8:34 AM EDT

Jordan Burgess
MONROE, Ohio (WDTN) - A large statue of Jesus that has been seen by millions across the country was destroyed by a fire late Monday night.

The King of Kings statue that stood outside the Solid Rock Church located on Union Road just off Interstate 75 is now in ruins. Only a few wire frames are still standing.

Officials are still investigating, but lightning likely sparked the blaze. The fire also damaged the attic of the church's amphitheater.

Word of the fire spread quickly. Many church members couldn't believe what had happened and came to see for themselves.

"This is not right," said church member Gifty. "We just all have to go on our faith and ask God. This cannot be a coincidence."

"I was pretty upset," Andy Caudill said. "Seeing a big thing of our Lord and Savior gone. It's pretty sad."

The statue was built in 2004. The 42-foot span between its outstretched arms grabbed the attention of motorists driving by.

No word from church officials about whether they plan to rebuild the statue.

http://www.wane.com/dpps/news/strange/giant-jesus-statue-burns-to-the-ground-ob10-jgr_3425041

catocom

yep, maybe they'll figure out, you don't build 'cheap crap' like that.

If you are going to make a monument, you'd better do your 'best'.

jimpeel

Just weeks ago the Lord Jesus Christ was run down by a woman in MA.

Now this!

What is the world coming to? (I know, Minkey, ending preposition and all that.)

SOURCE

Woman Runs Down Lord Jesus Christ in Massachusetts Street

Published May 07, 2010 | FOXNews.com

NORTHAMPTON, Mass. -- The victim has probably forgiven the woman who ran him down in a Northampton crosswalk, but police haven't.

Police say a Pittsfield woman has been cited for running down Lord Jesus Christ as he crossed the street in Northampton.

Officers responding to Tuesday's incident checked the 50-year-old Belchertown man's ID and discovered that, indeed, Lord Jesus Christ is his legal name.

He was taken to the hospital for treatment of minor facial injuries.

Police say 20-year-old Brittany Cantarella was cited for failing to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk.

Now, how'd ya like to have that one on your resume?

catocom

It was cheap.
I'm not referring to cost so much. A lot of people get ripped off.

It was cheap made, with cheap materials. (kinda like Goth explained)

back on the money though, I wonder what the church's intake of tithe is per week.
To me, it's about percentages when it come to spending church money on things.

valkyrie

It was cheap.
I'm not referring to cost so much. A lot of people get ripped off.

It was cheap made, with cheap materials. (kinda like Goth explained)

back on the money though, I wonder what the church's intake of tithe is per week.
To me, it's about percentages when it come to spending church money on things.
I wonder how many people the church could help with that money?
Education scholarships
Battered women and children shelters
skill training for the poor and homeless
purchasing land for a park for a poor neighborhood

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Probably not many more than they already help with the rest of thier money.

catocom

yeah, it seems there are some priorities misplaced with many churches, or so called churches these days.

jimpeel

First, The Lord Jesus Christ is run down in the street.

Then Touchdown Jesus is destroyed.

Now this.

What is this world coming to?

SOURCE

Fire Destroys Gay Pride Float in Alaska

Published July 03, 2010 | Associated Press

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- Anchorage authorities say they're investigating the cause of a fire that destroyed a gay pride float intended for a 4th of July parade.

KTUU-TV reports that witnesses told investigators that moments before the fire began Friday morning they saw someone running from the driveway where the float was being constructed.

Neighbors and the float's builders say they fear a hate crime. Investigators say they're still working. A report that concludes the fire was set would lead to a criminal investigation.

The builders say they'll still improvise a float using the ashes and charred pieces of the original.

Gotholic

Downpour Cancels Obama’s Memorial Day Event
May 31, 2010, 2:18 pm

By JACKIE CALMES

The sky, sunny for hours while people assembled in 5,000 folding chairs, blackened right before the program began. Lightning cracked at the conclusion of the Pledge of Allegiance, and the downpour came just as the president was introduced.

Source

MrBishop

It seems it was an act of vandalism. Molotov is a petrol bomb.

Yes, yes it is...an excellent way to burn down something..like a float.
Call it vandalism or call it arson. It's the same thing..someone(s) obviously did not want a pride float on the 4th in Anchorage.

valkyrie

It seems it was an act of vandalism. Molotov is a petrol bomb.
The Molotov Cocktail was used at various time in history, including at the beginning of the Soviet Union's entry into WWII (the invasion of Germany into the Soviet Union's western borders) as a homemade defense when all other ammunition had been expired. They had People's Volunteer groups but not enough guns, bullets, grenades, etc. The Molotov Cocktail was a glass bottle filled partially with either alcohol or petrol (but usually alcohol) and corked or sealed, and stuffed or tied at the top with an alcohol or petrol soaked rag. The rag was lit and the bottle was thrown at the enemy, breaking the glass and spreading the flammable liquid. The lit rag would ignite the flammable liquid and, hopefully, the enemy combatant.

The incendiary device was named after Vyacheslav Molotov by the Finns during the Winter War as a mockery to him (he was severely hated by the Finns). It was also used prior to that in the Spanish Civil War. The Russians stockpiled Molotov Cocktails as a means to defend Leningrad against the Germans at the start of their involvement in WWII during the siege of Leningrad and continued to use it when other weaponry was expired.

(I'm reading a book about the siege of Leningrad and the Soviet Union's involvement at the beginning of WWII.)