Going to be gone for a bit

My other dualies mobo just bit the big one .. cant even access the bios. :( I'm now down 4 cpus out of 7 and am now posting from machine number 3. *sigh* I need an exorcism.

Damn, Unc. I just fired up my oooooolllllddddd 486 laptop, and it's running as good as ever. What are you doing to those poor machines?

unclehobart said:
My other dualies mobo just bit the big one .. cant even access the bios. :( I'm now down 4 cpus out of 7 and am now posting from machine number 3. *sigh* I need an exorcism.

Bad PSU ?? No line conditioner/UPS ??

That mobo had been giving minor to medium problems for the last several months. I was putting my old 32meg vidcard into it and it just blew itself apart. It gave a large blue screen of death with a laundry list of problems, didn't accept a reboot. The card was then removed and then it refused to reboot at all. Its dead.

My main machine now has its new hard drive and I am now in the process of getting all of the basic updates, programs, and firewalls back online. I will be at this for hours and hours. The unfortunate thing is that my Outlook Express shell was roasted along with all email vitals for everyone I know. Everyone was a regular penpal of mine needs to send me something so that I can readd you: [email protected]

I'm not adverse to adding new penpals if you want to get onto my listings. :)

(feeling lonely ... want mail)

Professur said:
Damn, Unc. I just fired up my oooooolllllddddd 486 laptop, and it's running as good as ever. What are you doing to those poor machines?
Talk to HomeLAN about it. Hes never seen anything like it. I have the black thumb of death insofar as computers go. I have the Murphys Law Iron Cross with oak leaf clusters.

19 critical updates for the windows shell alone. :) jebus christmas!

I think I would have gone to an internet cafe and plugged in for that kind of nightmare. I can't imagine having to do 200+meg of critical downloads on dialup anymore. I would probably have to junk computers altogether and take up a new hobby.

unclehobart said:
samsung 120mb ide 2mg cache 7200rpm ...good, bad, service record? .. anyone?

I've been using a samsung 80gig for a while now...
actually 2 of um, and have been very happy with them.
I don't like a drive much over 80gig, as I have some pretty old
programs I run sometimes that don't like anything bigger.

I have the little older model the SP8004H, and it's quite enough for me,
and seems plenty fast enough even on a ata100.
The new ones I think are ata133 which if you mobo, or drive card
supports it, should get on down the road.
I had 2 maxtor ata100-20gigs, on raid before I got this one, and
it doesn't seem that much slower.

Got the sound working ... now I need to try and think up a few of the sites I had bookmarked ... sigh. I also need to start reinstalling photoshop and my digicam software. So much to do ... and so close to bedtime.

This sluggish IDE drive is hella faster than my old scsi... leading me to believe that it had been dying and slowing down for quite some time. It appears that I've had a hard drive that had been slowly comitting suicide only a few months after I bought it. bastards.

Truly, I know Maxtor hasn't had the best reputation, but I've got a 30 gig here in my machine that's been going for three years without a glitch.

The seek time on my 9gig-10,000rpm cheetahs is about 3ms
faster, but the samsung has a faster file transfer rate.
So I use the samsung all the time, and have the scsis in a computer
for when I want to do web programming, and intranet serving to test
the pages. :nerd:

4 Maxtors, all running well

1 WD-in for RMA

Staples & Office Depot usually have great deals on Maxtors too

PuterTutor said:
Truly, I know Maxtor hasn't had the best reputation, but I've got a 30 gig here in my machine that's been going for three years without a glitch.

Oh I'm a big Maxtor fan. :headbng2:
Every since the ata100s anyway.
I'v only had 3 go bad out of about 80, and they have a great
"no hassle" return policy.
I've been real impressed with all the new liqiud-bearing drives.
I running 6 of them now, ranging from 20-40 gigs ea.
Two of those are on ata133, and man they smoke. :D

unclehobart said:
Got the sound working ... now I need to try and think up a few of the sites I had bookmarked ... sigh. I also need to start reinstalling photoshop and my digicam software. So much to do ... and so close to bedtime.

This sluggish IDE drive is hella faster than my old scsi... leading me to believe that it had been dying and slowing down for quite some time. It appears that I've had a hard drive that had been slowly comitting suicide only a few months after I bought it. bastards.
A modern IDE drive can be faster in many areas than an old SCSI drive. How old was the SCSI drive, and how old is the IDE?

6 80 gig WD all running like champs, the 8 mb cache ones :) sweet and fast. scsi anymore is really only good for server stability with very heavy loads. we are even considering sata for our next servers. just because the difference in speeds is so minimal anymore.

even in the newer drives and side by side test. scsi is slowly losing ground to IDE. the seek times are closing the gap.
So what HD did you pick up?

unclehobart said:
The scsi was a 2 year old Seagate Cheetah. The IDE drive was just bought this afternoon.
That would do it. IDE drives today are much faster than 2 year old SCSI drives.

Back