Gone Fishin'

MrBishop

Some of you know that I fish on weekends...whenever I can. I river-fish, mostly for trout. Paul_valavu once asked for photographic proof.

Here it is:
Two lovely trout...they're sitting on a dinnerplate if you're looking for a size comparison. If you're not that good at that kida measuring...the one on top is 15" long :)

My husband is the fisherman in our family ... he mostly dives with his three-prong or his spear gun. I've only eaten reef fish and ocean fish. I wouldn't mind trying some river fish though.

In fact, I think we're having fish for dinner too :licklips:

kuulani said:
My husband is the fisherman in our family ... he mostly dives with his three-prong or his spear gun. I've only eaten reef fish and ocean fish. I wouldn't mind trying some river fish though.

In fact, I think we're having fish for dinner too :licklips:
have i mentioned that i hate you? i am so jealous. i don't eat near the amount of seafood i would like to....and to not have to pay $9.99 for a pound of shrimp. i coulda died the first time i saw the prices of seafood here :crying4: and a husband that goes outs and catches it? damn...i really hate you. :p

Did I mention that I'm eating fish tonight? :p

$9.99 for a pound of shrimp ... that sounds about right, i think. too bad we don't have that kind of shrimp here, i wouldn't mind it if the hubby brought those home ... i guess i'll have to just settle for LOBSTER :lloyd:

Nice fish, Bish! :D Trouts is tasty. :licklips:

Ku'u too! :cool: At first that looked like a pompano, but it's a reef fish I can't identify.

Tonksy, TEN DOLLARS for a pound of shrimp?!? What size? :eek:

You do NOT want to know what I pay for 10-12's (shrimp per pound), sweet white Gulf shrimp, still twitching. :blank:

There's a big fishing tournament starting this weekend in Panama City Beach. The Bay Point Annual Billfish Invitational is a really huge deal.

The waters of the northern Gulf are famed for fishing, diving, water sports, sailing and yachting and feature numerous artificial reefs. Grouper, snapper, scamp, redfish and jacks of many varieties abound.

Seasonal migrations of king, trout, blue, Spanish mackerel, cobia and tarpon add to the popularity of local fishing. Between late May and October, sports fishing for blue and white marlin, sailfish, yellowfin tuna, dolphin and wahoo top the fishing calendar.

The Bay Point Marina is home to the Annual Bay Point Billfish Invitational, recognized as one of the nation's premier sporting events.

Personally, I'm very much against billfish tournaments, being a committed supporter of tag and release.

EDIT: This year the tournament will have a catch and release category for billfish. There will be a videographer on each boat to film the catch and the film must show a certain item in the frame to certify the catch. I hope this trend toward catch and release billfish tournaments continues.

What's the exchange rate on Canadian dinner plates to American dinner plates? Those look like nice snacks :D

$9.99 a lb for large shrimp...you know, the kind you have to peel but are big enough for jambalaya...not gumbo shrimp or jumbo shrimp but the all purpose size? seems like i hated to pay more than 6.99 a lb in louisiana...but we gots the shrimp there, huh?

ku'u do you get amberjack over there or is that a gulf of mexico thing?

tonksy said:
$9.99 a lb for large shrimp...you know, the kind you have to peel but are big enough for jambalaya...not gumbo shrimp or jumbo shrimp but the all purpose size? seems like i hated to pay more than 6.99 a lb in louisiana...but we gots the shrimp there, huh?

If they are Gulf shrimp, the transportation is probably the difference. It still sounds pretty high. It's going to go higher soon for imported shrimp, thanks to the new import tariffs that are about to be imposed on shrimp from Vietnam and China. Shrimpers in the Southern U.S. have been struggling to compete with the low-priced imports, maybe the tariffs will help them.

I'll bring you guys a cooler-full if I ever make it to Hotlanta. :cool:

Sharky said:
If they are Gulf shrimp, the transportation is probably the difference. It still sounds pretty high. It's going to go higher soon for imported shrimp, thanks to the new import tariffs that are about to be imposed on shrimp from Vietnam and China. Shrimpers in the Southern U.S. have been struggling to compete with the low-priced imports, maybe the tariffs will help them.

would you? that would rock! only i'd need just a pound or so...rob dislikes shrimp....but i love it! :licklips:

Sharky said:
Ku'u too! :cool: At first that looked like a pompano, but it's a reef fish I can't identify.

oh, crap, it's name just slipped from my mind, my husband is gonna laugh at me if i ask him what kind of fish that is ...

i'm thinking it's an ulua, i think the english name for it is ... *checking dictionary* ... crevalle, jack or pompano. oh look, you were right ... a pompano. :D

tonksy said:

*checks dictionary again* i am soooo not good with the english names for fish ... amberjack, amberjack ... ooh, found it ... yup, we have amberjack, we call it kahala :D

Sharky said:

:the look:

Tariffs have never helped anybody. Buy the imports at below cost & become a re-seller.

Gonz said:
:the look:

Tariffs have never helped anybody. Buy the imports at below cost & become a re-seller.

Tariffs usually just wind up being passed on to the consumer.

The problem is, the imported shrimp undercuts the price of domestic shrimp to the point where domestic fishermen can't sell their catch at high enough prices to cover their expenses. The added cost of tariffs could help level the playing field.

kuulani said:
oh, crap, it's name just slipped from my mind, my husband is gonna laugh at me if i ask him what kind of fish that is ...

i'm thinking it's an ulua, i think the english name for it is ... *checking dictionary* ... crevalle, jack or pompano. oh look, you were right ... a pompano. :D

Hmmm . . . I think I be wrong . . . it looks like a member of the jack family, but I've never seen one with blue markings - Florida pompano and crevalle jacks have yellow patches. :shrug:

Edit: Your right, it's an ulua: Ulua = giant trevally jack. We don't have those here. :D

Sharky said:
Tariffs usually just wind up being passed on to the consumer.

The problem is, the imported shrimp undercuts the price of domestic shrimp to the point where domestic fishermen can't sell their catch at high enough prices to cover their expenses. The added cost of tariffs could help level the playing field.

Buy the underpriced shrimp, wholesale it out on the backs of importers, allow the US fishing waters to improve numbers & break the importation business. The only losers would be those underpricing imported goods.

Back