Gone Fishin'

Gonz said:
Buy the underpriced shrimp, wholesale it out on the backs of importers, allow the US fishing waters to improve numbers & break the importation business. The only losers would be those underpricing imported goods.

Tell that to these guys:

From Forbes article:

Eddie Gordon, president of the Southern Shrimp Alliance, said the value of the U.S. harvest dropped by more than half between 2000 and 2002, from $1.25 billion to $560 million, because of foreign dumping.

The proposed tariffs on Chinese exporters range from about 8 percent to 113 percent. Vietnam exporters face duties ranging from about 12 percent to 93 percent. Those numbers could change as the department continues investigating.

Besides China and Vietnam, shrimpers allege India, Brazil, Ecuador and Thailand also have dumped shrimp on the U.S. market. Later this month, the Commerce Department is expected to rule if those countries are guilty of dumping.

Food distributors and retailers warned that shrimp consumption in the United States will drop and prices will rise as a result of the duties, even though the Commerce Department excluded breaded, fresh, dried and cold-water shrimp and prawns, and those found in prepared meals.

The Vietnam shrimp industry criticized the U.S. ruling Wednesday, with the Vietnam Association of Seafood Exporters and Producers calling it a "protectionism measure, which goes against free trade."

The U.S. International Trade Commission will make a final determination next January on whether U.S. industry is being harmed by the imports. The Commerce Department then will set final dumping penalties.

What's so hard for places like Lafitte - where a shrimp boat sits in front of town hall and where every house on the bayou sports a skiff - is that a way of life has already begun to fade.

At 46, Calvin Guidry said there was a time when almost all his relatives worked the nets on the family boat in the summers, eating homemade ice cream at sunset and watermelon at dawn.

Now forced out of the shrimp business, he has sold his boat, his house and can't afford to pay for his son's last year at Louisiana State University on the $20,000 a year he makes as a town maintenance worker - half the income he took in during the good days as a shrimper.

"Our old town will never be the same," Guidry said. "It's not like a crop. We can't grow more shrimp. We have to deal with what is there."

Sharky said:
If they are Gulf shrimp, the transportation is probably the difference. It still sounds pretty high. It's going to go higher soon for imported shrimp, thanks to the new import tariffs that are about to be imposed on shrimp from Vietnam and China. Shrimpers in the Southern U.S. have been struggling to compete with the low-priced imports, maybe the tariffs will help them.

I'll bring you guys a cooler-full if I ever make it to Hotlanta. :cool:

Throw in a couple pounds for me, pretty please? I'll feed ya one night while you're here.

A.B.Normal said:
NIIICCEE!!!.Is the larger a Rainbow and the smaller a Speckled/Brown???I really miss fishing.

Right you are...we occasionally get lake trout visiting the river, but not often. :(

My father-in-law dragged out a 22" just this past Saturday. :D One day, I'll have to track him to see where he drags his lures. He won't tell me :(

Prof- Lake fish are larger and dumber IMHO than your average river-fish. Besides...it's not as sporting sitting in a boat with a 12-pack next to you as it is slogging through a river in thigh-high boots and dodging skeeters and horse-flies to get to that hole under a partially sunken log. :)

Water's low this year...I have to go at least 2-3kms before I get to the sweeter spots :(

Lakers dumb? ROFL.

son, I've gotta get you hooked on bass. You'll never look at trout the same. Not that nailing a brookie in 3 feet of current compares to hunting for big lakers in 50+ foot sinkholes either. But having a 18" lunker yanking your boat around can be enough to make you spill a beer in excitement. And you get a better tan.

HomeLAN said:
Throw in a couple pounds for me, pretty please? I'll feed ya one night while you're here.

You got it. :cool:

Catacom, I'll bring some for you, too, if you'd like.

tonksy said:
dude! what is that?

I have no idea. It's some kind of reef fish, possibly in the grouper family. I'll try and look it up. Check out the dorsal spines and those lips! :D

HomeLAN said:
Cool! So, when ya coming? :D

Soon, I hope. I really need to get up there and visit my mother, it's been months. I'll PM you and tonksy and let you know the specifics in advance when it looks like a window is coming up. :cool:

Sharky said:
I have no idea. It's some kind of reef fish, possibly in the grouper family. I'll try and look it up. Check out the dorsal spines and those lips! :D

It looks like its smiling :D

Back