Government asked to investigate Christmas music torture

Professur

Little Drummer Boy still at large

Christmas music in shops is "torture", the "forgotten pollutant" which shop workers must be able to silence for the sake of their sanity, according to activists, trade unions and a peer. The government is being asked to investigate the problem.

Campaigners and trades unions have spoken out about the playing of Christmas music in shops over an ever-extending festive period and the psychological effects that the repetitive tunes can have on staff who have no choice but to listen to it.

"If people don't want it and if they have a negative response to it and if they're exposed to something continually, the same songs over and over, it's no different to being tortured, it's the same reaction, the body will react in the same way," said Val Weedon, national coordinator of the UK Noise Association.

"We are asking government to investigate this particular area and to look into whether it is something that the Health and Safety Executive could take on board," said Weedon.

Shop workers' union Usdaw (Union of Shop, Distributive and Allied Workers) says that it is ready to take action on the issue. More

You knew it was coming.

I worked for five years as an on air personality at a radio station. We started playing Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving, increasing rotation until it reached 98% by December 21.

By December 5, I was suicidal.

By December 10, I was homicidal.

To this day, I can count the Christmas songs I want to hear on one hand. All but one were released after my tenure at the station ended. (Eagles, Please Come Home For Christmas being the exception)

SnP the DJ? Tell me you've got some recordings of that somewhere. :toast:

I try and avoid malls most days, but if I have to go into one and risk being bombarded by someone else's choice of Xmas music, mixed with the music of their neighbours into some hodge-podge Little drummer be home for Silver bells with chesnuts roasting on an open White Christmas, then I'll bring along my MP3 player!

(Eagles, Please Come Home For Christmas being the exception)

Ever hear any other renditions? The first one I ever heard was James Brown's. I've heard several blues artists sing it since (Bonnie Raitt's is nice), but I think I like the Eagles version best.

The stupid dogs barking Jingle Bells is the one that threatens to drive me over the top.

I do my best to tune out the Christmas music in stores. Not because I've heard enough, but usually the sound system is so piss-poor, the music is mangled beyond redemption.

The only Christmas music I've really come to love is by Trans Siberian Orchestra.

I bought Charlie Daniels "A Merry Christmas To All", last year,
but I don't hear anything like that is stores. Too Christian I guess.

:shrug: They don't play music on ebay....or any of the other sites I've bought from this year for that matter.

genuine christmas carols i don't mind

the holy and the ivy, good king whatsisname, hark the herald angel etc ...

But muzak sucks.

I do my best to tune out the Christmas music in stores. Not because I've heard enough, but usually the sound system is so piss-poor, the music is mangled beyond redemption.

The only Christmas music I've really come to love is by Trans Siberian Orchestra.

Mannheim Steamroller is pretty good too and along the same lines.

Four pounds of back-bacon, three french toast (freedom toast for ya yanks), two turtlenecks AND a beer...in a tree! :beardbng:

Let's not forget

"Grandma got run over by a reindeer, walking home from our place Christmas eve"

Back