Graffiti = free speech?

Nixy said:
But none of that is ILLEGAL. If you need it you can get it. The spray paint they're banning people from buying. Also, why under 21? I'm SURE people over 21 vandalize stuff.

I can assure you...if you walk into any retail outlet in this county and attempt to purchase over three of the primary ingredients in methamphetamine, you will not be asked your intentions by the store clerk. It will be a detective who asks you that, at the jail, in a small unventilated room.

That's it I dimly recall the original
impetus for banning paint sales to those under 21
was its use as an inhalant.

SouthernN'Proud said:
Bish...yer wrong.

The preferred inhalant for paint huffers is gold SPRAY PAINT sprayed into a bag, then huff the fumes.
Terminology...

That practice sounds more like 'bagging' than huffing.

Sniffing - straight from the container (sometimes heated to make it go faster)
Huffing - material soaked in solvent and applied to face hear nouth/nose.
Bagging - solvent placed into a bag and the bag placed over the mouth/nose.

I remember plastic cement for modeling being taken off the market because of glue bagging.

MrBishop said:
Free speech = a license to protest pretty much anything you like. A catch-all.

"An 18-year-old can buy cigarettes, vote, and go into the army, but he can't buy a can of spray paint in Manhattan. It's silly."

That reminds me of an incident back when I was in grade 11.

My friend and me were buying spray paint to paint computer cases because we are geeks. With a bunch of paint in out hands, we happened to run into a teacher that we both had for a class in school. She asked us what we were doing with the cans, we told her the truth after looking at each other for a second.. "uhhhh, painting computers". She didn't say much else and walked away.

That night, with my friend driving, we happened to put his car in a ditch on the highway. The next day in class she asked me where he was. He stayed home that day because his shoulder was bruised, I then told her that we made his car a bit shorter last night.

Well all was good until after class where she pulls me aside and says "I know you two were huffing spray paint last night... blah blah blah......." I seriously almost fell on the floor laughing. She was maddd!

I even let my mother know everything, because I thought it was so funny. Mom didn't think it was too funny because she knew what we used the spray paint for. And didn't like the fact that this teacher thought that we were huffing it just because we had bought it! Mom had a little talk with her the next parent/teacher meeting.

Back