Green cars too damn quiet

The only real issue is with Blind people ,but then again they don't seem to have issues with bicycles .Most modern cars run pretty darn near silent anyway,first couple weeks I had my car I had to keep checking it see if it was running ,even with the windows down its reeaallll quiet.Next time your standing waitng to cross a street just listen to see if you can hear "all" the vehicles,gas or electric.

The 'greenest' of cars out there are the fully electric cars, and soon enough, there will be more of them on our roads than ever. Saves on gas, less pollution..good stuff, eh.

I for one will miss one form of pollution that electric cars won't have - noise pollution. Particularly the kind of noise pollution that might save your life.

At anything above 50kph/25mph..car tires make some amount of noise as they roll along, regardless of what they're burning or not. Below that point, many hybrid cars and electric cars make no (or nearly no) noise whatsoever.

Here's my issue. I can tell when a car is coming, from where it's coming from and how fast unconsciously-from a good distance. There's a mental trigger associated with the noise from the engine that says "Look out".

I am wondering what unintended side-effects of the electric "silent" motor will have on pedestrian accidents. Particularly as it relates to people on bikes who can't hear a car behind them, people trying to cross the street and most importantly..the blind!

Anyone think about this? I had a hybrid roll past me at lunch and didn't hear it coming at all. It got me thinking.

Should electric "Silent" cars have a noise added to it?

I don't know about you, but I was taught to look both ways before crossing the street. Anything less is Darwin Award material.

Oh..I look both ways...but that helps mostly when the driver is actually*gasp* obeying the rules. Doesn't help much for cyclists, tho'

Go to any dock in the western hemisphere....chances are there are several LP powered foklifts.

We have electric lifts at work,but they have to honk CONSTANTLY ,WCB rules.

So do ours. My personal rule of thumb is; Wake the fuck up and pay attention to what's going on around you. This may be applied by both the operator and the potential road kill. BTW, you know it's double points for running over a pregnant woman, right?

Every electric forklift I've ever been around has the same "beep, beep, beep" as a truck backing up.

So do ours. My personal rule of thumb is; Wake the fuck up and pay attention to what's going on around you. This may be applied by both the operator and the potential road kill. BTW, you know it's double points for running over a pregnant woman, right?

Death Race 2000:battle:

what if she's carrying triplets?

Back