Grief and Loss

tank girl

Recently I lost both my Grandparents, who I have been extremely close to, in a freak car accident. The first time in my life I am experiencing death of somebody close to me, in the most horrible and unexpected way.

I'm *not* here for sympathy, just interested in hearing about similar experiences involving sudden death, and what people have done to come to terms with it in the aftermath of the event, what things have helped overcome the shock and the grief.

Would appreciate any input.

Altron

Sorry to hear about it.

I've had it happen to two people I knew, both at a young age. I just wandered around in a stupor for like a week. Make sure you eat enough food and stay hydrated. Both times, I had no appetite for quite awhile.

It's quite a blow, and very depressing. For the first few weeks, everything seems kinda pointless. Talk to people about it. (which is what you're doing already, which is good). Just give it some time. Eventually, you won't be sad about it, you'll be happy for the time you did spend with them. That whole thing about loving and losing being better than never loving at all, it's true.

I'll give you some background on my story.
Back in April '03, my aunt had kids. My aunt and uncle really liked the kids, but my uncle had a hard time dealing with the pressure. Before, he was always pretty relaxed. I think part of it was that he didn't have kids until he was 39, at which point, having few responsibilities on the family aspect were very ingrained in him and my aunt. I had spent weeks staying with them before, and it was very quiet. They both had big corporate IT jobs. They would come home at 6, have dinner, then spend the night just hanging out. Weekends would be a three hour drive to the grandparent's house in Vermont, then two days away from everything, skiing in the winter, boating in the summer, etc.
Then kids came and it was like, WHOA. All that free time you've had over the past 21 years, since when you moved out = gone.
Now he had to be tight and wound up. It didn't help that my aunt was very unhappy when he wanted some time on his own. Started hitting the bottle waaay too much in Fall 04. Keep in mind, most of the family is alcoholics, (I've seen family photo albums where in nearly every picture, they're holding a beer can, or a bottle, or a red plastic cup) , but this was very heavy drinking. We're not talking shots of vodka, we're talking pints. I think all in all, he went through like three quarts a week. Also to be noted, he has had stomach problems his whole life, including an ulcer, and has become diabetic.
December 05, he wakes up, eats breakfast with my aunt and the kids, my aunt leaves, the nanny takes the kids, and my uncle goes to bed for three hours. One day, he says he's feeling really bad. Goes to the hospital. He's in a half delerious, half comatose state for weeks in the intensive care section. Alcohol has pretty much fucked up all his digestive organs. The doctors said that even if he survived, his digestive system would be so fucked up that he wouldn't be able to eat half the foods he liked, and even the smallest amount of alcohol could kill him.
He started to get better in March 05, but was still pretty delerious from being in the hospital and under medication so long. Around this time my aunt found out that she was pregnant with their third child, and the twins are about 2 years old.
Late March, he started to get worse. There was a lot of internal bleeding that they couldn't stop.
His entire digestive system was a bleeding mess. Early April, it got very bad. He was losing blood as quickly as they could pump it into him. He didn't make it.
His third daughter was born August. She won't ever get a chance to know her dad. He never even knew she existed before he died. His twin daughters were not even two years old when he died. They will probably have only faint memories of him.

That sad enough?
I could go on with some more details, but it's late, and I need to go to work early tomarrow, and I don't know how much more I could write right now. You kinda forget about it after awhile, remembering only the good things, and not how horribly sad the last 6 months were.

A.B.Normal

tank girl said:
Recently I lost both my Grandparents, who I have been extremely close to, in a freak car accident. The first time in my life I am experiencing death of somebody close to me, in the most horrible and unexpected way.

I'm *not* here for sympathy, just interested in hearing about similar experiences involving sudden death, and what people have done to come to terms with it in the aftermath of the event, what things have helped overcome the shock and the grief.

Would appreciate any input.

http://www.otcentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=417478&postcount=2

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
So, how is your psych class going?

[edit]in the unlikely event you are here soley for the purpose stated, I offer my condolences.

tank girl

Gonz said:
So, how is your psych class going?

[edit]in the unlikely event you are here soley for the purpose stated, I offer my condolences.

I haven't taken psych, my focus is media, philosophy and english lit.

I never really saw the point when the greatest psych class occurs in everyday experience

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Grandparents didn't hurt that much for me. They lived well and lived enough to see all their sons and some of their grandsons pretty much grown up. They fulfilled their purpose in life (or at least the purpose I believe).

My dad and my aunt are the deaths that hurts me the most, as they never got to live many things they sure would have wanted to.

How to get over it? In my opinion, you never get over it, you just get used to live with it.

And even if you are not here for condolences, I'm still sorry for your loss.

tank girl

Altron said:
Sorry to hear about it. ....
Thats really sad, Altron, thanks for your input.

I was thinking about things that people do following the actual event, and I find it intriguing the things which occur to the individual following a life-changing event, especially one which is so sudden, traumatic and unnatural.

I can't even begin to explain my dismay at the way they went, and can't even begin to comprehend how I feel about cars and driving - confronted with the reality of what can happen in a split second, so swiftly, with one error of judgement - and how we take so much about the sheer danger of driving for granted.

But its true, my perception of life and the sensation of living has shifted profoundly, I have shifted into another mode of understanding altogether.

tank girl

Luis G said:
Grandparents didn't hurt that much for me. They lived well and lived enough to see all their sons and some of their grandsons pretty much grown up. They fulfilled their purpose in life (or at least the purpose I believe).

My dad and my aunt are the deaths that hurts me the most, as they never got to live many things they sure would have wanted to.

How to get over it? In my opinion, you never get over it, you just get used to live with it.

And even if you are not here for condolences, I'm still sorry for your loss.

I think that it is similarly as hard in the opposite way, even though they did live full lives,

it just seems incredibly unfair for them to have gone so violently, abruptly - when they were both healthy and fit and really did have a few years to live yet... (they were in their 70's)

Not to mention loosing both of them together in one, scuse the pun, god, 'hit'.

in my position I keep thinking how they won't be there, when there was an exceptionally high chance they would have -when I graduate, and see me get married, have my first child.... especially my Granny, who was more like my best friend and mother...

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
tank girl said:
I think that it is similarly as hard in the opposite way, even though they did live full lives,

it just seems incredibly unfair for them to have gone so violently, abruptly - when they were both healthy and fit and really did have a few years to live yet... (they were in their 70's)

Not to mention loosing both of them together in one, scuse the pun, god, 'hit'.

My grandparents had natural deaths, but I understand how you feel with such an abrupt lost.

in my position I keep thinking how they won't be there, when there was an exceptionally high chance they would have -when I graduate, and see me get married, have my first child.... especially my Granny, who was more like my best friend and mother...

Those very same thoughts cross my mind with my dad and aunt.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
tank girl said:
I can't even begin to explain my dismay at the way they went, and can't even begin to comprehend how I feel about cars and driving - confronted with the reality of what can happen in a split second, so swiftly, with one error of judgement - and how we take so much about the sheer danger of driving for granted.

But its true, my perception of life and the sensation of living has shifted profoundly, I have shifted into another mode of understanding altogether.
What a terrible shock. I understand what you're saying about cars. My good friend died on a motorcycle a few years ago, and I still haven't quite resolved that. I'm angry with her for getting on it, and now have an irrational hate for all things bike. Having said that though, even if it sounds really, time does heal. In time, one does begin to find peace with. Just keep living, and don't put guilt pressure on yourself for doing it. You know your grandparents would hate it if you did anything else.

MrBishop

I've only had 3 big deaths... one was when i was about 14 or so...1 of my cousins who was about 10, died. She'd been having transfusions weekly for years waiting for a transplant donor, which didn't come. At 14, I dont' have to tell anyone, I thought that I was in control of my emotions...all grown up, etc... The death of a child will shake your world.

The other two deaths were within 1 month of each other. I saw my maternal grandfather die during a visit. He hadn't been doing well. His wife (Rose Anne) followed him about 1 month later. I'm told that this happens often...one spouse following the other in short order. My grandfather wasn't a shock, per se. We were all expecting it...I was still a little raw emotionally when my grandmother died. I was an emotional wreck. I ended up lashing out at the wrong time and got fired from my work. I still visit her grave yearly and think of her often, especially since I named my daughter after her.

Emotionally...it fades into the background and life overpowers it, but every once in a while..the loss reminds you that it never went away. The pain was just giving you a break.

MrBishop

Leslie said:
Just keep living, and don't put guilt pressure on yourself for doing it. You know your grandparents would hate it if you did anything else.

What she said.

tank girl

I agree, totally.

But then its easy to fall into the trap of persuading yourself to do so and then, like what happened to me yesterday, somebody says something that strikes a nerve and you find yourself crying again and realising you're kidding yourself.

I recognise Its all part of the process though, its just so incredibly hard to come to terms with the deaths, it's easy to build a wall for most of your time awake in order not to let your concious mind have to register it.

I'm about to start counselling and everything, so we'll see how that goes.

Have been reading profusely and watching too much t.v, playing too many computer games to keep my mind from wandering.

Am also considering pick up old hobbies that I used to enjoy, like painting, photography and drama which I find to be therapy, which is a good thing, things which I lost after being so focused on studying for my degree.

Oh yeah, and I've come back here, because i enjoy writing and communicating like this, which is a good thing, I suppose.