Guns? We don't need no stinking guns

Professur

California teacher blows hand off trying to squash bug with artillery shell

VENTURA, Calif. (AP) - A teacher who kept a 40-mm artillery shell on his desk as a paperweight blew off part of his hand when he apparently used the ammunition to try to squash a bug, authorities say.

The 13-centimetre-long shell exploded Monday while Robert Colla was teaching 20 to 25 students at an adult education class.

Part of Colla's right hand was severed and he suffered severe burns and minor shrapnel wounds to his forearms and torso, fire Capt. Tom Weinell said. No one else was injured. He was reported in stable condition at a hospital.

The teacher slammed the shell down in an attempt to kill something that was buzzing or crawling across the desk, said Fire Marshal Glen Albright.

Colla found the 40-mm round while hunting years ago and "obviously he didn't think the round was live," said Dennis Huston, who teaches computer design with Colla.

Source

I've heard of trying to swat a bug with a cannon before ........

If the shell doesn't have drilled holes along the bottom indicating that the powder charge has been drained... its a m-effing live shell every time. I wonder what era the shell was?

An M203 round isn't a gun

this is a gun
(someone should kick the cameraman in the nuts though)

OK it is a military weapon

but what that klown had on his desk was a round of military ordnance.

Winky said:
this is a gun
(someone should kick the cameraman in the nuts though)

Yes it is, the earlier versions were known as the melt down machine bacause if it over heated it would not stop shooting untill it ran out of ammo and the barrel would be useless...

OK here's the deal:

if it was a Mark 19 round then his hand was cut off from the shell detonating without being in a barrel

the warhead is fused not to be armed until it is downrange
if the warhead of this type of round had gone off
in a full class room the result would have been
stupendous carnage!

unclehobart said:
At 40 mm, it still could have been an artillery grade piece of ammo. Some AAA guns from WW2 used 40mm shells.

Probably from a Bofors out of an AC-130.

Another thing...I notice this genius is from California...go figure. ;)

I thought about the bofors angle
but I couldn't readily find an example on the net.

Also isn't the brass of such a round thick enough too preclude rupture if fired outside a chamber?

Homeboy may not have been gripping it by the brass though. He might have been clenching it over the business end of the round.

Winky said:
I thought about the bofors angle
but I couldn't readily find an example on the net.

Also isn't the brass of such a round thick enough too preclude rupture if fired outside a chamber?

Not if he hit the primer just right, or some way made it go off...

And neither do winy sales people with no back bone. It's a good weeding-out tool. :laugh: *has never even seen an oozy in real life!

Back