Happy Father's Day

markjs

Banned
I have posted my father's obituary before but I will post it again. My dad was one of my heroes. He overcame blindness and made a family and a career. Fathers day is very hard for me because I miss him so much.. I hope you all have a great special day with your own fathers and children. If you still have your father cherish all the time you have with him because you will never know exactly how much he meant you til he's gone.

My dad:

tony.JPG

As cliche as it is I always remember my dad when I hear the Kansas song "Dust in the Wind". We scattered my dad's ashes off the coast of Waikiki beach in Honolulu Hawaii. It's the place he loved to be.

I close my eyes, only for a moment, and the moment's gone
All my dreams, pass before my eyes, a curiosity
Dust in the wind, all they are is dust in the wind.
Same old song, just a drop of water in an endless sea
All we do, crumbles to the ground, though we refuse to see

Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind

[Now] Don't hang on, nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky
It slips away, and all your money won't another minute buy.

Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind
Dust in the wind, everything is dust in the wind.

I just had a little idea some of you might like to participate in. How about sharing a little story about your dad be it funny, serious or whatever.

Here's one of my dad:

We are sitting at a holiday dinner table with the family, and I can't remember what holiday, but my girlfriends daughter is notorious for not eating so much and being really skinny, so right after grace, my dad is all like "Lisa you better eat something or you'll get so skinny you'll fall through your asshole and hang yourself!". It was crude and vulgar but we all had a good laugh. My dad was always quick with a joke.

good idea!
my dad was a career sailor and can cuss a mean streak with the best of them...excepting for the fact that he insists on referring to a fart as a "windypop" :shrug:

I don't have many stories of my dad seeing as how he left when I was 7 or 8, and the fact he's a borderline deadbeat, but I still love him and he's not really a bad guy, he just doesn't know how to do the right thing. One day I got out of work early last year to meet him at a Cubs game, and while we were on an overcrowded bus headed to Wrigley Field, it was stuck in heavy traffic (surprise) and one guy had to go pee real bad, called for a stop, ran into the alley and let loose. There was actually a lady cop around the corner from him, but he finished up, ran back on the bus, and we all cheered before she went over toward the alley. :D The game turned out to be memorable, Prior pitched and struck out 16 batters in 8 innings, but Borowski blew it in the 9th and the Cubs lost. :(

my father and i do not speak. i havent seen him in over 10 years although he lives 15 minutes away.
But i have the best father inlaw a guy could ask for. He has taught me things i never thought i could do. We do things together and always have a good time.
So props to the guy who would be my dad.

Miss your dad a lot today, Sport. A great deal.

My natural dad was a hero of sorts. Was in the Army Air Corps, and died in a plane crash in Costa Rica when I was a baby. Everyone who knew him loved him dearly, and I know of no one who has regretted having known him, which is a tribute in and of itself.

My stepdad and I haven't had a lot to do with one another for years, but I still owe him for my love of astronomy, music, and mythology, and for the years he was there for us. Just wish he'd stuck it out.

I wrestled for three years in high school and my dad never missed a single one of my matches.

Lost mine in 95 to pancreatic cancer. My son is named for him.

My favorite story about my Dad is a little less than flattering. Dad didn't make many mistakes. He was borderline anal-retentive (think that's where I get it from). Anyway, when we were kids, he was still active military and did his own automotive work to stretch the budget. He was always meticulous, almost machine-like in his accuracy and attention to detail.

One day, he decided to change the oil in the '69 Ford Country Squire station wagon (typical family shit-box, down to the wood panelled sides). The 460 in that thing took a shitload of oil, so Dad had 5 quarts in before he realized that he'd forgotten to put the plug back into the oil pan. We had a 5 quart river of oil running down the driveway.

The kids had to run alllllll the way around to the back of the house before we could laugh....

I didn't realize you had ties to Hawai'i. Have you lived here?

For Father's Day we bought my dad a $50 gift certificate to some golf store. I have no clue to anything golf-related, so a gift certificate was a safe option :D

Sport's dad loved Hawaii, and lived in Waikiki on several occasions. Lost his vision there in an accident that took place in Pearl Harbor--21st anniversary of Pearl Harbor Day, in fact. A few days after he went blind he was guiding his father all over Oahu.

He took us there as a family once, and he and I went together several times.

My dad is patient, kind, artistic (he designs and tends the most beautifull gardens) and wise in a "if you have nothing interesting to say, keep ya gob shut" kinda way.

I'm proud of him as my dad, cos gods know I didn't make the job easy for him, and prouder yet that we've become good friends, and respect each other, as adults :)

50star.gif

navy.jpg

nav-ltcdr-m.gif

505.gif

med08m.gif
bronze.jpg
purpleheart.gif

Happy Father's Day, Dad. You are missed.

If there was a medal for being an Outstanding Father, you would have been awarded four of them.​

My dad is a stubborn, hot-tempered redheaded Irish Catholic. He's also the only family I have other than my kids, and love him dearly and cherish the friendship that has grown between us in the past few years.

My father was a firefighter for 32 years. One morning over our usual Sunday breakfast, he told me a story he said he had rarely shared with anyone. He told me of a call, to the scene of a car accident, that he been on years ago, in the early seventies, if I recall. A man was pinned in a car that was on fire. Despite my fathers and the other firemen’s best efforts, with the technology available at the time, they were unable to free the man in time to save his life. With a sad, faraway look in his eyes, my father told me that the man’s pleading voice still haunts his dreams almost nightly. I don't know why exactly, but I felt closer to my father as a fellow human being and not a parent at that moment that I had ever felt before.

:hug: to you Daddy, from your little girl.

I dug up my Christmas present again with my family's writings in it, I found one written by my dad when he was in school (I'm assuming, there's no date on this one). I see where I got my paranoia and sense of humor from, thanks Dad. :D

"IT'S A STINKIN' SHAME"

Good morning ladies and gentlemen. My name is Neil Rosone and I will present some fictional facts about the 'Communist' plot to ruin our air, water and natural resources. I have come to this Current Affairs Club meeting today to bring you a Reporters' Report on the first annual meeting of the 'SPOILARS'. That is spelled s-p-o-i-l-a-r-s. In case you are wondering who the SPOILARS are, let me tell you what their title means. They are the 'Society to Pollute Our Interior Lakes, Air and Recreational Sites'. They are foreign agents who have been sent to America to encourage her citizens to continue to frolic in their slovenly ways. The co-operation they get is amazing! On my way here today I saw three trash containers, brand new, empty and looking so forlorn. Yet, within fifty feet of their yawning mouths I counted three broken bottles, two lunch bags, numberous apple cores and banana skins, one dirty white sneaker and a one-wheeled, broken down velocipede. These were all contributions from various auxillaries of the SPOILARS.

The SPOILARS are holding their meetings in the Chicago Stock Yards, Pens #3, #4 and #5. Pens #1 and #2 contain a very interesting exhibit of the equipment used in their highly successful campaign. There are holey auto mufflers, broken down CTA busses, rusty bed springs, wet, torn brown paper bags and lots of industrial waste. Pen #2 offers coninuous demonstrations in the most effective ways of using these readily available materials.

The first session of the SPOILARS was called to order on 'Blah' Monday with reports from the heads of the various committees. Mr. Waste King, the Interior Lakes Pollution Chief, told of the great results they had achieved in the Lake Erie area. He emphasized again and again that his work was so simple and that he was getting all kinds of co-operation from the United States Government and the factories located on the lakeshores. He actually wept great, oily tears as he begged the Head SPOILAR for more work. (Actually, I felt that he was bored and needed a vacation. I kept thinking maybe he'd like to go fishing, but where? He had done his job so effectively there's no place left to catch anything but a COLD!)

The second speaker was C. O. Two. His job is to fill our air with gas fumes, choking smoke, metallic particles and ashes. He reported that he was finding it more difficult to get the help of the general public. His main complaint was that people just won't burn garbage or leaves anymore! Imagine they pay to have these things hauled away.

Miss Glacier National told of the extraordinary success of her campaign to spoil all our beautiful parks and picnic areas. She explained that parents are her biggest helpers. They leave loose garbage and smoldering campfires at the campsites and all she needs to add is hot sun and dry leaves and she's got a great recipe for a conflagration!

There was an election of officers and then they chose their mascot and club anthem. Ima Mess is the new National President, Red Tape is in charge of the lobbyists in Washington, D.C. and Junk Mail has been re-elected as the National Secretary. The mascot for the year will be "Pigpen" from the Peanuts cartoon and the theme song is "Fly Me to The Moon". We've already started exporting our garbage up there for future generations, so I guess they are really keeping their fingers on the pulse of this nation.

Ladies and Gentlemen, let me assure you that this organization is a foreign underground group who intend to destroy America with the help and permission of her disinterested citizens! Where, but in America would the people be so willing to destroy all that's beautiful and life giving?

Seriously thought, I must admit that I just couldn't bring myself to really attend those sessions with the SPOILARS, so now I'll confess that I gathered all this information from a discarded copy of the 'Daily Worker' I found as I stomped through the fog and smog in Lincoln Park yesterday.

I thank you.

I miss my Dad so much. He died when i was 8 (1989) from cancer in his head. When he went to the docs and said that he had a feeling something wasnt right in his head they just fobbed him off and told him he was imagining it and sent him to a shrink. Few months later they found a lump the size of a apple and had to remove his jaw to take it out. But it was too late. I live every day wishing he was still here. Its been 15 years and i still feel its just been 1 day since he died. I dont think i will ever get over it. We did everything together. He taught me mechanics and photography. I even got every question right in my driving theroy test because he used to teach me what the signs etc mean and it just stuck in my mind. Me and my fiance took some flowers down to his grave on Sunday and i had a good cry.

My father is luckily still with us, and helps MrsBish and I by sitting for him a few days per week while we work. To see him with my son is an instant trigger for all the memories that I have of him when I was a little boy. The games of hide-and-seek, tag, digging up the garden etc..as well as the overwhelming sence of patience and peace that I get from him. I hope that I've inherited his peaceful persevearance and dedication to family above all else. I can think of no greater gift that I could pass onto my son, than that which my father lovingly passed onto me.

Attached is a pic from this father's day and my folx's place.

markjs said:
It was eithe you Ku or Nalani who I talked to over OTC when last I was in Honolulu.

d'oh! I think I remember that now that you mention it :blush:

& can I ask another question which may potentially lead me to another "d'oh!" ... why does Larner call you Sport?

Back