Happy New Year! - Chinese year of the Monkey

i'm a monkey.......now, does anyone seriously celebrate new year today?? it is ridiculous :shrug:

Luis G said:
does anyone seriously celebrate new year today?? it is ridiculous :shrug:

Not if you were Chinese, Luis. Kind of provincial of you, don't you think? :)

But I mean, the world is ruled by the "common" calendar, it is odd that chinese people outside of China celebrate it today. Just a thought.

Luis G said:
But I mean, the world is ruled by the "common" calendar, it is odd that chinese people outside of China celebrate it today. Just a thought.
Has to do with tradition, I suppose. :shrug: Wiccans celebrate to a different calender, as do Jews. I don't know who else, but I'll bet there are others.

The chinese people still follow the regular calendar too. But Chinese New Year is a time of celebration of their heritage. It is something that they as a whole have managed to keep. I think being able to keep a part of your heritage like they have is really cool.

We celebrate the first of the fiscal year in October, so why not the Chinese year in mid January? :shrug:

*lol*

chcr said:
Has to do with tradition, I suppose. :shrug: Wiccans celebrate to a different calender, as do Jews. I don't know who else, but I'll bet there are others.

all pagans not just Wiccans use a different calendar. the ancient Mayans,Aztecs and Incas did. Muslims too

Rose said:
We celebrate the first of the fiscal year in October, so why not the Chinese year in mid January? :shrug:

*lol*
i wouldn't say celebrate....in the navy, beginning of the fiscal year meant time to "turn to" (get back to work) for us supply folk :sick:

For us it means cleaning out the Board Books of all the stuff that has acculumated during the year - making it possible to carry only three books at a time - and starting with empty books. :D

tonks said:
well...you've a ways to go....don't get lazy yet :D

Oh no, see, we add to the books every month. Since it's still so early in the fiscal year - they aren't a pain to carry yet. But come May ... :disgust:

Home Depot's fiscal year starts February 1. I can't figure out what the point of a fiscal year not matching up with a calendar year is, unless the fiscal year starts the month of the company's founding.

Wagon? :( We've up stairs and downstairs to mess with.

I usually find a waiter to carry the books when I'm lazy or they are heavy. :D

Rose said:
Wagon? :( We've up stairs and downstairs to mess with.

I usually find a waiter to carry the books when I'm lazy or they are heavy. :D
ah men! the original beasts of burden :D

Well, now I'm all screwed up

The following is your simple birth chart. You are White Pig, born in the year of Brown Horse. The first character in DAY represents you. We can say you are a Metal Pig, too.

Dunno if I like being called a white pig....sounds kinda un-PC :rolleyes:

Back