HAPPY Spring

I have been drooling for this through the winter!! My white, yellow, blue and purple crocus are blooming and my tulip foliage has broken ground. I put some mulch down last weekend, I have to get a ton more to cover the ground before the weeds start growing too.

I have two flower shows in a few weeks to go to and then I have to start shopping for my garden list. This year I'm growing suflowers, cosmos, salvia, purple coneflower, coleus, lilies, roses, million bells and ornamental grass. To start. Then I'll see what jumps into my shopping cart at the area nurseries. :D

greenfreak said:
I have been drooling for this through the winter!! My white, yellow, blue and purple crocus are blooming and my tulip foliage has broken ground. I put some mulch down last weekend, I have to get a ton more to cover the ground before the weeds start growing too.

I have two flower shows in a few weeks to go to and then I have to start shopping for my garden list. This year I'm growing suflowers, cosmos, salvia, purple coneflower, coleus, lilies, roses, million bells and ornamental grass. To start. Then I'll see what jumps into my shopping cart at the area nurseries. :D
my tulips bit it :crying4:
we planted the majority of our plants on friday, i am starting to notice little bits starting to poke out of the earth already!
we put in our annuals. or at least the majority. 6 flats of marigolds and 2 of allysum. we also added in 4 new guinea impatiens and some dahlias.
we still have the back hill to lay periwinkle on and then add some more annuals to the staircase...zinnia i think...maybe some more dahlias.

If you transplant tulips, they will not bloom that year, and depending on when you move them, maybe not even the following year.

I am so ready for some warm temps. The chemo and other stuff I've had to endure make me feel cold all the time. You try feeling like you're freezing for 20 straight months...it sucks! My leg bones hurt from the constant trembling. Also getting sick of carrying in firewood. Gimme some warmth for a change.

Got me a week's vacation planned April 4-8. Gonna do some yard work and then fish fish fish and fish. The calendar says that is a good to excellent week for local fishing, so I lucked out there.

I'll have to think about it. The boy's promised to my mother for the week, but I gotta get him there. How far are you from Blue Ridge, GA?

Yikes! That'd be hard to pull off. Kid's got the week off, I don't.

4 pounders, huh? That's a nice chunk of catfish.

tonksy said:
not all. probably why my tulips bit it though.
Tulips like a happy medium. They don't like to be frozen solid but they do need a chilling period in order to bloom the next year. Here, we plant the bulbs no earlier than October and no later than November and they start blooming (depending on type of tulip) end of March/April the next year. I'm in zone 7.

They also don't like being wet for too long. So if the spot they're in has poor drainage, they might have rotted. Or they could have been eaten by squirrels or moles, they both love them. Apparently they taste yummy.

You started planting already? Wow, I have until about May 15th until the overnight temps are consistantly above 45. I did buy a small greenhouse type of thing last year though so I can put stuff in pots outside earlier and still protect them from the elements.

Had 3 seasons in the past 2 weeks. Damn english weather. Snow followed by rain followed by lovely warm weather followed by autumn style winds. stupid indecisive weather.

greenfreak said:
Tulips like a happy medium. They don't like to be frozen solid but they do need a chilling period in order to bloom the next year. Here, we plant the bulbs no earlier than October and no later than November and they start blooming (depending on type of tulip) end of March/April the next year. I'm in zone 7.

They also don't like being wet for too long. So if the spot they're in has poor drainage, they might have rotted. Or they could have been eaten by squirrels or moles, they both love them. Apparently they taste yummy.

You started planting already? Wow, I have until about May 15th until the overnight temps are consistantly above 45. I did buy a small greenhouse type of thing last year though so I can put stuff in pots outside earlier and still protect them from the elements.
i think the tulips were doomed. i bought them at the kroger and they'd been living under those artificial lights and were quite pot bound :shrug: they were on clearance and i had to try.
the night after we planted the temps dropped to mid thirties but no harm seemed to be done. i also found out that we are definitely in zone 8 so we were only a hair early.

Yo, Spot

Winter Storm Warning (Brighton. MA)

WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON EST THURSDAY
Tonight...Snow developing. Snow accumulation of 5 to 10 inches. Brisk and cold with lows in the lower 30s. Northeast winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 35 mph.

Thursday...Snow in the morning...Then snow likely in the afternoon. Storm total snow accumulation of 6 to 12 inches. Brisk with highs in the upper 30s. North winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 35 mph.

Just wait until summer

tonksy said:
i think the tulips were doomed. i bought them at the kroger and they'd been living under those artificial lights and were quite pot bound :shrug: they were on clearance and i had to try.
the night after we planted the temps dropped to mid thirties but no harm seemed to be done. i also found out that we are definitely in zone 8 so we were only a hair early.
Probably transplant shock, they didn't have enough time to acclimate to their new conditions. The greenhouses put them under a lot of stress to begin with, controlling temps to get them to bloom so they can be sent out to the stores. Then they sit in a warm, dry place. Then they get put outside into a drastically different climate. You're right, they were probably doomed from the start.

Don't let that stop you though, the best way to do tulips is to plant bulbs in the fall. It's not instant gratification but you really don't have to do much to them once you plant them. And you get that gratification come spring! :)

Back