HAPPY Spring

greenfreak said:
Probably transplant shock, they didn't have enough time to acclimate to their new conditions. The greenhouses put them under a lot of stress to begin with, controlling temps to get them to bloom so they can be sent out to the stores. Then they sit in a warm, dry place. Then they get put outside into a drastically different climate. You're right, they were probably doomed from the start.

Don't let that stop you though, the best way to do tulips is to plant bulbs in the fall. It's not instant gratification but you really don't have to do much to them once you plant them. And you get that gratification come spring! :)
i really don't know why i tried. people plant them as an annual here because it just isn't cold enough for them here. i've heard some folk say they freeze theirs during the winter in the icebox but thats just bizarre.
tell me, have you ever heard of a shrubby plant called something like "chinese pizzaz"? i swear that was what was on the tag but a quick search of google turned up nothing.

Yeah, I've heard of people "forcing" bulbs too, putting them in the drawer of their fridge. Sorry, that's going a bit too far for me. My fridge is for food!

Never heard of Chinese Pizazz. Might be a hybrid cross name, not the species name of the plant.

dandelions do good around here. :D
seriously though...
Marygolds do ok, but are slightly more work.

I have a lot of wild daisies in the field that come up evey year.
It looked like snow, from a distance one year, they were so thick.

It would be nice if more people took to eating dandelions. I could make a killing just from my yard.

Back