Votes: 1 8.3%
  • IBM

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mirlyn

What brand do you perfer for storage?

I need an additional 160-180gigs to store some new files. Currently I have two 80gb Seagate Baracuda IV's and love them. Anyone tried their 160s? Are they as quiet/fast? Any other recomendations? Should I look at a different brand?

This particular machine is all EIDE, so no SATA (yet).

greenfreak

Rusty and I went looking for a HD for his computer recently and we went with Maxtor. We've always had good luck with them and their price/warranty was better for the size than anyone else. We could have gone WD but the warranty was only one year and it was more expensive. We haven't gotten any really large drives though so I don't know about noise. My computer fans are so noisy, I wouldn't notice anyway. :D

whoreable

I would do any of those brands expect IBM. Basically I would go for the best price. I believe all these compaines do 1 year warranties, except they might still be doing 3 years on the 8mb cache ones.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I have 4 Maxtors-never a problem.

I'm currently RMAing my only WD....hmmmm

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I would not buy a seagate again, seen many of those died, don't know if it was a momentary quality thing, but that left a bad image of them in my mind.

Also, being realistic, WD is just a name these days, the current quality of their products is nowhere near to that of older products.

IBMs, they had a good time, but i've been hearing some sad stories about them as well.

So i guess i would go for a Maxtor, as they are the only brand that i've never seen/heard bad things of.