Has anyone ever read these comic books?

Jeslek

Banned
Asterix and Obelix.... The year is 50 BC. The Roman Empire has conquered all of Gaul (France). All? No, all but a small little village. They have a druid Getafix that fixes them a potion of super human strength, a warrior Asterix, and another fat one Obelix that fell into the magic potion when he was a baby, hence a permanent effect...

A new one came out!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0752846582/qid=1030676121/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-2108794-3643800?v=glance&s=books

I got everyone of them! They are really really really funny.

0752846582.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
isn't that a french cartoon?
i think they released the movie a few months ago.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
:eek: OMFG!! I forgot all about those!! I have got to get those for the boys!!! We even have a sega game of it LOL, hidden away, forgotten.

WOW, thanks! :D :headbang:

nalani

I don't think I've ever heard of that comic before ... looks a bit familiar though ..

Psycho

Asterix and Obelix :eek:

Those comics are cool :headbang:

Got about 8 to 10 comic books and 5 movies (well, cartoons, whatever y'all call 'em ;)) :headbang:

Jeslek

Banned
The movies are lame though. The English translations are pathetic at best. Each movie has a different voice for most characters. The books though, are simply incredible.

Characters are named names that sound Latin, but there are a deeper meaning. Consider Centurion Ignoramtix (he was ignorant), Chief Vitalstatistix (chief of the village), Getafix (Get - a - fix), Fullyautomatix (villige smith), Bacteriatix (wife of the fish monger), etc.

Not to mention it captures the irony of today's justice system, and most social issues. Consider this excerpt. Asterix is talking to druid Getafix about the new female bard that came to the village. Ancient Law dictates that only men can be druids and bards, so:

Getafix: We are at the height of the Ancient World! In these days it is wrong to discriminate against women. Women are equal to men, and positions previously only occupied my men is open to women now.

Asterix: You mean women can become druids?

Getafix: Don't be silly Asterix

I highly recommend these books, all 30 something of them. Start with book 1, Asterix the Gaul. The drawing quality is exceptionally poor in this book though, but as soon as you progress to book 2, Asterix in Spain, it becomes very good, and that is the way it stays for the remainer of the series.

Each book also has modern day characters personified in it... Either by drawing them with uncanny resemblance, or by what they are saying. :D

Hm, I might scan a couple of pages for you guys if anyone is interested...

HomeLAN

Man, I love those things. I've only got a few, becuase they were hard to find in Atlanta when I was collecting them and damned expensive. Now that I've got the net and some expendable cash, it may be time to look for more.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Mine too, read and reread! And soon to be for my kids too. They're gonna enjoy it whether they like it or not! :D :headbang:

MuFu

Yeah, pretty cool stuff. Used to read them all the time. :)

Got weird LSD/steroid overtones sometimes though. The idea that there's this druid dude called "Getafix" who cooks up all this shit and pimps is out to his homies (all of whom have moustaches, it should be noted) is slightly dodgy. I bet if Asterix didn't drink any potion for a while he'd start getting the shakes and lose his hair.

"Incredible strength and speed"? Sounds like a Friday night out on the piss to me...

:headbang:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I read a couple of them (it was either in french or german class, whichever class that was the language they were in). They were VERY funny!

equinoxe3d

Asterix rocks :headbang:

The TV cartoons are old, but pretty cool (in the style of the comics). Never saw the movies, but from the previews I once saw they doesn't seem to capture the mood as well as in the comics IMO

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
Asterix is SO cool! I read them SO many times while I was in the US. It were the only Dutch books I had back there :D
I even read one in Latin, really cool :)

But I only like the ones written by both of them, Goscinny AND Uderzo...when Goscinny died the story line became SO weak :(