Haters

You could say that about a lot of health issues which would make them not a national problem by your logic.

They aren't. A communicable disease with a high mortality rate (or other dangerous mark) can be a national concern.

It's not the governments job to look for cures. They haven't found any yet.

Actually government funded research has made many advancements in medical treatment. Also, it is the job of the government to protest it's people.

So it turns out it is a national issue.

They aren't. A communicable disease with a high mortality rate (or other dangerous mark) can be a national concern.

It's not the governments job to look for cures. They haven't found any yet.

Which would then be why polio and smallpox are still so prevalent, I guess?

CDC anyone?

CDC anyone?

DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING!

Wrong.

March of Dimes anyone?

The Sabin and Salk vaccines were not government funded research. They were developed back in the days when the government was still tending to the business of government and not the business of businesses.

At the time the first polio vaccine was being introduced in widespread use (1955) the CDC was not yet ten years old (1946).

They were privately funded by public donations to the March of Dimes. Cards with slots for dimes were placed in stores all over America and common citizens would fill them up. Kids would get the cards, fill them, and take them to school where they were forwarded to the March of Dimes organization.

The closest that government got to the development of the vaccine was Roosevelt helped found the March of Dimes.

The smallpox vaccine was developed in Britain. It was recognized that cowpox infection immunized a person from smallpox before the United States was even a nation. Immunization was accomplished by various means as early as the late seventeenth century. A real vaccine was developed at about the time America gained her independence.

bigger picture, dude.

everyone with half a brain and a minimal background in epidemiology knows that the vaccines have less to do with the reduced incidence of disease than do basic public health measures.

government in various forms has been performing public heath stuffs since, i dunno, the 1700s. so what if "CDC" did not become a legal entity until whenever?

bigger picture, dude.

everyone with half a brain and a minimal background in epidemiology knows that the vaccines have less to do with the reduced incidence of disease than do basic public health measures.

government in various forms has been performing public heath stuffs since, i dunno, the 1700s. so what if "CDC" did not become a legal entity until whenever?

The CDC had nothing to do with the diseases that chcr cited. That's what.

Reread the post at #24 and see what was said in response to Gonz's post and what Gonz stated about government involvement in finding cures.

The smallpox vaccine was known before there was even a government here; and polio was cured by private business with private donations.

Gonz was correct that "It's not the governments job to look for cures. They haven't found any yet."

By the by. Use that half a brain to answer this extremely simple question:

What is the most significant medical discovery in history?

Reread the post at #24 and see what was said in response to Gonz's post and what Gonz stated about government involvement in finding cures.

The smallpox vaccine was known before there was even a government here; and polio was cured by private business with private donations.

Gonz was correct that "It's not the governments job to look for cures. They haven't found any yet."

one more time:

BIG PICTURE.

government and health + disease. do they go together? does the government have any track record of solving these issues? does the government belong solving these kinds of issues, anyway?

you're stuck on vaccines, dates, and specific agencies. you're clinging to the pea-sized chunks. hockey helmet territory.

That was not the point, Jim. It's very much like having a discussion with an immature six year old. Never mind. Forget it. I bow to the overwhelming logic and towering intellect you present.

I said that with a straight face!!!!

CDC anyone?

Both fit the limitations.

Was Salk a CDC worker?
How about the method for pox eradication?

government and health + disease. do they go together?

No. The government is not in the medical profession. Let's keep it that way.

The CDC is a limited engagement bureaucracy. A communicable disease with a high mortality rate (or other dangerous mark) can be a national concern.

methinks perhaps all this is a little bit more complicated than you and peel would like it to be. but this is more about being proud anti-government warriors.

fightin' the system like, uh,

boyshug.jpg

proud anti-government warriors.

Again, you miss the bigger picture. I'm not anti-government. I am pro government, when it follows the rules set forth in it's charter.

I am against the government interfering with commerce/science or otherwise attempting to change the rules with it's influence (why the fuck should the local power monopoly be forced to look for alternative methods of energy?)

The Constitution is the be all & end all of federal government. The rules are clear.

On one hand, I would have to agree that the "educated" people of the world really have no excuse for getting aids anymore. I'm assuming that is what is meant by the fact that it is not an issue for the majority of the world anymore. I am a bit leary to say that it's not a problem though. It would be nice to think that little Johnny and Susie are smarter than that, but the minute they hear that it's not a problem for us anymore, they are going to be fucking like bunnies without rubbers again, then it's a problem again.

Think about it, its not too hard to figure out. Why do you think it is still a problem in Sub-Saharan Africa? Do you think they are just really into freaky sex? Maybe because they stab each other while having sex and lick up the blood? No, stupid. Its because they have no knowledge or understanding of protection. The rest of the world does and uses it now. Ok, not all, but the educated ones do. Now, you are going to tell them it's not a problem anymore. You really classify little Johnny and Susie as educated? Hell, they aren't fags or junkies, it's not a problem for them....

I should think the scare of the plethora of other sexual transmitted diseases and the ever-present threat of unwanted pregnancy should be enough to ensure that "educated" people (and their children) should continue the use of protection.

Back