Have you ever...

Thats the nature of the business beast, far cheaper to out-source certain functions,when theres money to be made, people can come off second best.

That was one of the more interesting things about their plan. They were going to outsource some of our functions to a partner in India.

I've been trying to sell these guys on the beauty of test automation for years now. They were going to accomplish basically the same thing by going for cheap labor.

Thats one thing I really hate is they make people redundant, just so they move operations to a country where the labour is cheaper, that really gets me angry.

In the meeting where we were told, someone asked if they had plans to outsource or lay off within the IT dept. The guy basically said not right now but if some kind of technology comes up in the future that makes a certain job obsolete, that it's a possibility.

Did I mention that my company has put in hundreds of "WYSE" terminals that run off the main servers? Did I also mention that I'm in PC repair? Or that the only people who repair our WYSE terminals are the people at WYSE themselves?

Yup, think it's time to make sure my resume is updated. :grumpy:

What's the model of the "Wyse" terminals.

Where I work they use them, and for how much activity goes on, they are not really adequate for the job, I don't blame the IT manager, he can only put in what he has a budget for.

WT3730LE. They're the big hunks of junk that have the base that detaches from the 17" monitor with 2 USB ports. We tested a tiny unit that didn't come with a monitor, I forget what the model was, and it was ok. But I should probably look into repairing them on site instead of sending them out. They're constantly going bad for stupid reasons.

we don't have monitors with ours, we use 3250LEs with 16Mb of flash RAM and everytime we have a power cut, it fries the eproms in some of the boxes.

I've had to tell my users to stop turning off their terminals every day, only on Fridays, because the buttons break and then they can't turn it on again. :rolleyes:

These are real quality products. I guess that's what you can expect for $650. :shrug:

Do you know if they have a program that will train field techs to do their own repairs? Might be a good idea to look into. Especially when these things go out of warranty.

Back