Hologram memory prototype has 1GB capacity

chcr said:
I can't for the life of me find any Dolby 6.1 VHS tapes, and in my strictly subjective opinion, DVD pictures are much more crisp than VHS (so were Beta).:shrug: Re the FMD, I've been following it some, it seems really promising but years away. I think holographic storage will beat it to the market by quite a bit. That's not to say that holographic storage won't get replaced.

My neighbor works for Technicolour, in their Montreal Development division. I tend to belive him when he says that the pics are better (though not sharper) than VHS. That is...there are more pixels/inch in DVD but the colour seperation isn't as good. He tells me that the main problem with DVD or digital images, is that the side of the 'film' is where the sound tracks go. In VHS, there is enough space for Dolby, THX etc... than there is on DVD. DVD then aims for the highest comman denominator, which sometimes falls short of some home-systems. If 60% of systems can handle only Dolby 5.1...then anyone with a higher system just lost out. IN VHS, all formats are available, so if you have a kick-ass system, your sound is better.

Doesn't matter in the end...DVD is newer, everyone's buying DVD...so, much like Beta...VHS will get shelved. Shame really.

Again, where do you get surround-sound vhs tapes? I've never seen them. The tapes are fairly wide, but the storage isn't that effecient (not to say it couldn't be). 24-track audio tapes are roughly 6 times wider than vhs, and they only store audio. I guess you could store video. The player might be a little pricey though. I'm no expert on video, all I can go by is personal (and admittedly subjective) exerience. You're right though, DVD is the flavor (sorry, flavour :D ) du jour till the next one comes along.

chcr said:
Again, where do you get surround-sound vhs tapes? I've never seen them. The tapes are fairly wide, but the storage isn't that effecient (not to say it couldn't be). 24-track audio tapes are roughly 6 times wider than vhs, and they only store audio. I guess you could store video. The player might be a little pricey though. I'm no expert on video, all I can go by is personal (and admittedly subjective) exerience. You're right though, DVD is the flavor (sorry, flavour :D ) du jour till the next one comes along.

Psst...D-VHS ;)

Gato_Solo said:

Okay, so I need a new vcr (didn't see one there), can I rent videos at Blockbuster or Hollywood? I think this is where Bish and I are missing each other. He's thinking more as a producer, I'm strictly a consumer.

chcr said:
Okay, so I need a new vcr (didn't see one there), can I rent videos at Blockbuster or Hollywood? I think this is where Bish and I are missing each other. He's thinking more as a producer, I'm strictly a consumer.

The D-VCR is supposed to play and record in all formats (except Beta ;) ).

Gato_Solo said:
The D-VCR is supposed to play and record in all formats (except Beta ;) ).
Gotcha, gotcha. But, if I can't rent movies at my local video store where stuff blows up... :shrug:

chcr said:

Most consumers wouldn't be able to tell if you were playing a vhs and told them that it was a dvd. Hell, some couldn't even tell ya if a movie was in mono or stereo. Some people just don't care...just give me the T7A, add in some explosions and a few jokes and it'll make millions.

I'm the kind of peon that notices if the changeover from roll-1 to roll-2 was done sloppily, or if the lower/upper edge is out of focus, or if the theater is using the bulbs on their lowest setting instead of the meant-to-be-played-at setting because they want to make their $50 bulb last a few weeks longer.

I'm not quite as much the audiophile as I used to be (Metal concerts kinda blunt that edge for ya damn quick), but sounds that aren't perfectly in sync will make me gritch my teeth.

I'm fussy...what can I say? It's my $15 and I want to see a good movie, well-prjected on a clean screen, in-focus and not too dand dark. A little more fake-butter on my popcorn would be nice too :)

MrBishop said:
Most consumers wouldn't be able to tell if you were playing a vhs and told them that it was a dvd. Hell, some couldn't even tell ya if a movie was in mono or stereo. Some people just don't care...just give me the T7A, add in some explosions and a few jokes and it'll make millions.

A little more fake-butter on my popcorn would be nice too :)

T7A? Isn't that the $450 receiver from AMC?

Back