Holy shit.

Kawaii

So i'm sitting here, being bored, as usual... I'm feel like playing Dungeon Keeper II, so i plop the cd into the drive and start the game. Right in the middle of the intro movie there's a loud BANG! from my chassi! I freeze for a nanosecond and then dive down and pull the plug. What the HELL was that, i think. I boot again to check if the vital components are ok and sure, all three HDDs are fine, as are the four NICs and my memory. Then it hit me.
The CD drive! I turn off the comp and take out the CD drive and shake it mildly. *rattle, rattle*
Shit. I plug it back in just to check, and as i thought, it's dead. I gets power, but the comp doesn't find it and it wont open. I realize there's no chance in hell to get it working again, so i open it up and check inside.
Pieces. Hundreds of tiny pieces. The DKII cd has been disintegrated. Wtf.
Why? The cd was spinning at 16x at most, it was a legal cd, it wasn't under an extraordinary amount of stress... No exposure to sunlight either.
I'm aware that this can happen to cds spinning at ~70x, but that was hardly the case here.
The worst part is, i was just about to reinstall XP because my current install is getting royally fucked up, it can't even boot non-failsafe without the XP cd. I'm just glad it wasn't my XP cd that blew up.
On a brighter note, my friend will let me borrow his cd drive, so i'm not completely scewed. I'll take some pictures when i get out of the crappy failsafe mode.

Professur said:
I'm guessing that's not an original copy cd. What make of cd-r?

He said that it was a real CD and not a copy..
The cd was spinning at 16x at most, it was a legal cd, it wasn't under an extraordirary amount of stress... No exposure to sunlight either.

Professur said:
I'm guessing that's not an original copy cd. What make of cd-r?
It was an original cd. I have the original case and CD2 here, right next to the pieces of CD1.
Edit: Bish beat me to it.

Sorry. Legal, and original aren't the same thing to me. I've a stack of CDs that are original, but illegal as hell. And a stack of perfectly legal copies.

Only thing I can think of is a short to the drive's motor. Did it sound overly busy before it let go? It was during the intro, so it would have been spinning at full, but did it sound at all unusual? Otherwise, perhaps an undetected flaw in the disk itself. But since you say it's not detected, and won't open, I'd lay my money on a short.

Had a 2000 cd do that once.....

It happens more often than you think. Like Prof said, its usually with burned discs, but sometimes originals get weak as well (usually its from some no-name software business like Bills Interactive Cross-stitching).

Never had that happen, but If I do, I'd probably say HOLY SHIT!!!!

Professur said:
Sorry. Legal, and original aren't the same thing to me. I've a stack of CDs that are original, but illegal as hell. And a stack of perfectly legal copies.

Only thing I can think of is a short to the drive's motor. Did it sound overly busy before it let go? It was during the intro, so it would have been spinning at full, but did it sound at all unusual? Otherwise, perhaps an undetected flaw in the disk itself. But since you say it's not detected, and won't open, I'd lay my money on a short.
I've broken the drive down now and it seems like a lot of the circuits and motors were destroyed by the shrapnel. I'm guessing microscopic cracks in disk -> shatter -> motors and circuits killed by shrapnel.
It sure as hell didn't look pretty when i opened it.

Edit: Misread.

S'alright. I look forward to the pics. My condolences on the loss of the drive, tho. D'ya have a make and model for that. I'll see if I can't find a known problem.

I finally got back to normal mode and got the crappy webcam working. Here are some pics.

The metal casing of the drive:
Bild40.jpg

Internal plastic 'skeleton':
Bild41.jpg

Hightech-looking motor thingie:
Bild42.jpg

Lots of misc small parts:
Bild43.jpg

What's left of the CD:
Bild46.jpg

What the cd should look like(cd2):
Bild49.jpg

Another picture of the remains with a better background:
Bild48.jpg

Professur said:
You're right. That is a crappycam.

Indeed, I don't see shit in all but the last pic. The last pic looks pretty cool though, as far as pics of shattered cd's go.

I'm a starving student, i can't afford to pay $100+ for something i use maybe once or twice per month.

I have 5 different makes raging from 24x-52x all in pieces like that.
Most have a bad component on the controller board i'm sure.
CD-Rs are so cheap now, it would cost more for the parts, than
to just buy a new one. The sell for about $19 around here for a 52x.
I just keep um incase I run across another one the them that
has something different wrong with it.

I was going to quote PT
Never had that happen, but If I do, I'd probably say HOLY SHIT!!!!
until I saw the final pic and actually said HOLY SHIT!! :lol:

Back