Honda Accord fuel/tranny problems

RD_151

rh71 said:
Can a dealer possibly be scamming me on this ?

Of course they could. The dealer is ALWAYS scamming people. They always charge twice to three times the market rate for everything! That's why only foolish people go to the dealer for repairs of any kind. PT is right, that's way too much. You SHOULD be able to get it done for about $500 to $1000 if you really want to throw good money into a 1990 honda. Ok, its a honda, but its 14 years old! You buy hondas because they last, it's lasted. Time for a new(er) car now. It's not a Ferrari, no need to keep it for the museum. Why don't you take it to a Firestone, or a Midas, or any other chain auto repar place for a second opinion. Then, if that's still too much, take it to some local place that's not a chain. Each time taking into account what you think it should cost, cuz like anything else, if you don't know what it SHOULD cost, they're gonna scam you.

O2 sensor should be about $100
That shift cable, maybe $50 to 100
and that transmission, from $500 to 1000

Personally, I'd get a new car though. Why do you think you'd only get $100 for it? Anything that runs is worth from $500 to 1000! Especially if its not to hideous to look at.

Well, good luck!

RD_151

Don't you have any transmission places that look all ghetto and runned down? Those are where you should be going. They'll get you one that works and throw it in for under $1000 for sure. It will be remanufactured, or if you really wanna be cheap, from a junk yard, rather than new, but it will get the job done. Personally, I think you need a differnt car though. There is a point where it's just not worth putting money into it. I mean if it were a Bentley, or a Ferrari, buy all means, fix it, but in this case...

chcr

Too cute for words
I said this in another thread, but if you can build a computer, you can rebuild a transmission. You will need some special tools, however.

Edit: And better insructions than come with the rebuild kit!

A.B.Normal

As said the co2 sensor should only be $100 ,for my 98 Sonoma its $109Cdn installed not including tax .Check a auto parts store($66 cdn) ,changing a Co2 sensor is something you can do your self(found this out afterwards) ,and if you find you can't take it to someone other than the dealer to have them put it in (an hrs labour ). I'd start with that as it can cause hard to diagnose probs caused by an engine not knowing what air/fuel mixture it should be runnign.

rh71

Thanks guys. We brought it to the dealer after the first independent shop couldn't diagnose the problem and we didn't want to waste anymore time. It's been weeks. The dealer was expected to be more expensive but at least they know Hondas and their anomalies. Well we went in not expecting them to diagnose a tranny problem costing us $1k+. That's what they're coming back to us with and I fought them just to get them to LOOK at the spark plugs and fuel pump just to be sure it's not anything else (still holding out hope). This was yesterday. If they come back to me today and maintain it's a tranny problem, I will tell them goodbye and get yet a 3rd opinion... with little/no diagnostics fee up front.

We already have another car, so getting another one in place of this one isn't too important. It's just that salvaging this one if it only costs < $300 would be a good idea rather than junking an otherwise running car.

Thanks for telling me about the $ of an O2 sensor... had no idea they were charging 3x the going rate at the dealer.

Aunty Em

rh71 said:
Need:
tranny $3k
o2 sensor $300 (check engine light revealed this)
shift cable $300

That's what they're saying... I don't know WTF is going on with this car anymore...

We bought it at $4500 almost 3 years ago... would you junk it and get back $100 at most for it ? What would you do ? We're so tired of throwing money into this car just to have more crap out...

Junk the car and use the money you would have spent to get a decent replacement. Alternatively look in the breakers yards for a running transmission... you may get a couple more years out of it.