Horrible day for beer lovers

TexasRaceLady

From the YakimaHerald.com Online News.

Published on Tuesday, October 3, 2006

Hop warehouse burns to ground in Yakima
By PAT MUIR
YAKIMA HERALD-REPUBLIC

About 4 percent of the nation's total hop yield was lost to fire Monday, as 2 million pounds of the pungent beer-making crop smoldered in a Yakima warehouse.

The fire began just before noon in a Division Street warehouse leased by S.S. Steiner Inc., filling the lunch-time sky with smoke. It was under control by Monday evening, allowing cleanup crews to start hauling away the damaged hops. Firefighters expected to monitor the scene through the night in case hot spots flared up.

"This will affect the U.S. market particularly because in some of the varieties, there was a feeling we were already a little short this year," said Ann George, the administrator for the Moxee-based Washington Hop Commission.

Rest of story here www.yakima-herald.com

ack! As my Grandpa always said, he'd rather see a church burn than spill a beer. This is like setting fire to that Sixteeth Chappel.

Relax people. It would only have been wasted brewin american beer anyways. Look on this as saving it the humiliation.

Relax people. It would only have been wasted brewin american beer anyways. Look on this as saving it the humiliation.

Ah, yes, Prof, but there are those whose palates are not as discriminating as some. We must have some sympathy for those poor, benighted souls.

ROTFLMAO

Hey now, Sam Adams isn't to bad! Neither is Harpoon. It's to bad so many people outside the US think only the big three produce beer here....

Given, I drink my fair share of imported beer as well, but I do like some domestic stuff as well.

Prof's just pissy because ain't nobody up there knows how to make a decent sippin whiskey. I mean, the 17th best Tennessee sippin whiskey beats the snot out of anything Canada manages to distill.

Ya'know I never really sipped whiskey before. I have taken shots of it, but never really sat back and sipped it. Any suggestions on what I should try to start. I like Jameson's, but I am not sure I could sip it...

Bourbon or Tennessee whiskey. (Like there are other kinds)

Jack Daniel's of course is the immediate knee jerk response, but far from the only choice. To my taste, not even the best.

I like Jim Beam, neat. No ice, no chaser. Just sip it slow as you can. I also like me some Southern Comfort, especially when accompanied by the lady who made it famous, Janis Joplin.

Just find an authentic Bourbon whiskey (read: Kentucky) or a Tennessee sipping whiskey, a quiet spot free from distraction, and sit back and enjoy. Life's finer pleasures demand your full attention.

Bourbon or Tennessee whiskey. (Like there are other kinds)

Bourbon is good, I'm not a big JD fan though. Some of the other Tennessee whiskeys aren't bad. Speaking of "other kinds," I do like Bushmill's Irish whisky (they've only been making it about 500 years or so) and a good scotch is always nice.

Recently toured the Buffalo Trace distillery in Lexington. Got to try some 21 year old bourbon (it's old enough to drink). They had some even older but they don't let you taste that.

Woodman, whisky is for sipping. Slamming shots is for getting as drunk as possible as fast as possible and really has nothing to do with enjoying a fine whisky. If you're going to do that you might as well buy the cheap stuff.

canadian whiskey is best suited for passing around a campfire, taking big swigs. for pure drinking pleasure, give me irish whiskey. burbon doesn't do much for me.

Prof's just pissy because ain't nobody up there knows how to make a decent sippin whiskey. I mean, the 17th best Tennessee sippin whiskey beats the snot out of anything Canada manages to distill.
Half right. Canadians can't make whiskey to save their lives. Fortunately, I'm not relying on them. The Scots produce, and have produced long before there ever was a Tennessee, the supreme whiskey of the world : Scotch. And before you bluster, try Glenmorangie.

If you've anything left to say after that .....

I agree with prof, there's only one whisky and is made in Scotland.

Unfortunately, I haven't managed to get a bottle of Glenmorangie yet. But I got a JW Blue Label recently.

two best beers by far are american microbrews and ales from britain. germans do one or two things right and so do the belgians, but that's about it.

i'm not allowed to have scotch anymore....

chcr, I know slammin for getting shitfaced ASAP and ACAP (As Cheap...), which is why I wondering asking for the sipping kind. Slammin shots has never done this body good! :D

chcr, I know slammin for getting shitfaced ASAP and ACAP (As Cheap...), which is why I wondering asking for the sipping kind. Slammin shots has never done this body good! :D

I like rocks for bourbon, neat for good scotch and Bushmill's.

Brandy (real brandy) is good for sipping too.

Back