Housing costs

Inkara1 said:
She's not from Fresno. Actually, she refuses to live there, too. Fresno wasn't so bad from my own experience, but then again, I didn't live around Edison High School, or on Kings Canyon Boulevard, or by Princeton and Weber avenues.

She sounds like she's even harder to get along with than I am...and believe me, I can be VERY difficult to get along with.

Nixy said:
She sounds like she's even harder to get along with than I am...and believe me, I can be VERY difficult to get along with.

Hold the presses, Inky. There's news for ya!! NOT!!!

She's not that hard to get along with. She does have certain ideas about things that I think are crap, but just as in any decent relationship, I figure it's best to choose my battles wisely. If she insists the cat will never go outside, scooping the clumps out of the litterbox from time to time is worth the trouble it will save. It's not that hard. I tell her every joke I tell you guys, so I figure putting up with me has to earn her some sort of leeway. If she's willing to live somewhere that I can find a journalism-related job and afford to buy a house (BTW, even Fresno's out of my price range), then I'm OK with it. I figure pretty much every city is going to have its ups and downs, so I'm not going to be too concerned with one city over another. Honestly, I'd like to be able to stay around here, but I can't even afford a burned-out husk of a condo in this area.

Yeah, I hear they need another crime column writer to replace that last guy who was shot driving up the highway. Now there's irony for ya.

may not have happened

Other than a little humidity, I liked the area. It would be nice to already know a few people there, as well. I might get "overruled," though.

I think she said Kansas City mostly because tornados don't seem to hit that area quite as often as a lot of the test of the plains and also because she has family that's not all that far from there. That might ease her transition, since she's never lived away from home before. I have so I could deal with being far away from everyone a little better.

Of course, nothing's set in stone yet. From what we've discussed, this would take place once she gets done with her classes at the local community college, which is another year at least. I actually like that sort of timeframe because it gives me some time to get more established at this paper to have a wider body of work to show potential employers, it gives me time to save a bit more money, and gives me time to make sure I would want to get married and move halfway across the country with her. I think that if we're not sure of it a year from now, it will never happen.

Well, considering that I'd met, married, split up, got back together and split up for good with Brandi in the same amount of time as I've known Christina, I think I'm doing better this time. Whenever we're together, things work really well. It's when I don't get to see her for a few weeks because of scheduling problems that things get bad... and even then, it's nowhere near the problem it was before we broke up last summer. The time apart seemed to mellow the both of us out and give us a good perspective on things.

Inkara1 said:
I have a bachelor's in Journalism so I'd be looking for a newspaper job. Christina's got this hard-headed opinion that walking on the streets of any part of Wichita will get you shot and nothing I told her would alleviate that (she was there once and didn't feel safe, she said).
Since its so fucking flat, you can see the bad guys coming from 5 miles away.

Inkara1 said:
Other than a little humidity, I liked the area. It would be nice to already know a few people there, as well.

It's more expensive than Fresno.

Like anywhere (including LA but NOT, I repeat NOT the Bay area), there are affordable areas for any income group. There are also, within all but the scariest neighborhoods, great people & decent living conditions. You just have to be willing to expand your horizons. Oh, KC is well within the Tornado belt. It's just that after destroying the Kansas side, they'ver usually got to stop for a beer & some ribs on their way to Iowa.

You'll find no argument with me there... but it's a residual effect of the high prices in the bay area. Equity refugees have driven up the price because even though it's unaffordable, it's still a good bit cheaper than the bay area so it looks like a bargain to people there. Apparently the price differential is still enough to make people willing to deal with the summer heat and winter cold, the worse air quality and the perceived difference in crime.

Next thing you'll know, people will be unable to move to Bakersfield because of housing prices & that will mean the end is nigh

KC is a great area. You're right about the tornados, it's in the belt, but certainly not the danger of Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska area. I'd suggest moving about 20-30 miles outside the city though. First of all the traffic isn't any worse if you plan your job and housing accordingly. Second the price of houses goes way down at about that range. In fact, if you can manage it, buy a hundred or two acres of land about 20 miles out. By the time you're ready to retire, you'll have developers offering you gazillions for it.

Back