How do you cut your grass?

Frodo

I use an IH 444 pulling a 4' bushhog (I need a 6'), but that might be a little over kill for you.

Reel mowers are great if you like exercise and stay ahead of the lawn, but if your grass gets too high, they are almost impossible to work. So, don't get rid of the electric mower.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
I use an IH 444 pulling a 4' bushhog (I need a 6'), but that might be a little over kill for you.

Reel mowers are great if you like exercise and stay ahead of the lawn, but if your grass gets too high, they are almost impossible to work. So, don't get rid of the electric mower.

the electric is dying fast, it must be at least 20 years old, and when you turn it on all you hear is metal screaching on metal.

We plan on the reel mower, I can push it just fine.

Inkara1

I have a reel mower. If the grass gets too tall the mower will just push it over instead of cutting it.

Professur

the electric is dying fast, it must be at least 20 years old, and when you turn it on all you hear is metal screaching on metal.

We plan on the reel mower, I can push it just fine.

I thought one of her boys was a mechanical whiz? Have him pull it apart. Only things that can fail on it are the bushings and a bearing. Cost about $10 at the local small motor repair, and he get's the satisfaction of performing the fix.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
No...that was me. And I am not up to fixing/just don't care enough to fix it. It's gonna be new or new-ish of some type or another.

So what happens with a reel when it's too long? You have to borrow someone's motorised mower or have a never cut again lawn ?

Inkara1

I just end up going back and forth a lot on the grass until it eventually gets cut. If it won't happen, I've got scissors. the blades had better not be dull yet because I bought it brand new maybe a month ago.

Inkara1

Also, the reason I got a reel mower is because my lawn is truly a postage stamp and I would think mowing a lawn that small all the time would be bad for the lawn mower engine. Electric mowers are expensive to start off with.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
You could hire the local (fill in impoverished illegal alien nationality here) to do it for you & not worry about what kind of mower they use. :shrug:

Inkara1

That or I can mow the lawn in 5-10 minutes, have it be done, and not worry about whether the illegal alien will show up or whether he'll fall victim to La Migra.

chcr

Too cute for words
I use a 50 inch zero turn with a 21 inch gas for the trim. Re reel types, I think they do a better job than anything else but as lots of others have mentioned, you must stay ahead of the growth. Re keeping the blades sharp, you can sharpen them on the mower. When I used to use one all the time (in upstate NY when I was much younger) I mowed twice a week and sharpened every other time.

MrBishop

Hey Bish...

;)

I was agreeing..and stating my method. :shrug: I actually turfed my electric for a gas-mower. The 100' extension cord was driving me nuts, catching on everything and having to keep it over my shoulder so I wouldn't run over it.

There are battery operated ones as well. :D

catocom

the old one I used was rusting.
IMO keeping the reel mower dry, and cleaned after usage is a key to keeping
the blades in good shape for as long as possible.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Yeah, they hated it, but we love it. The kids still seem to think it's a novelty, cause they like it too! :laugh: