Humans Were Born to Run, Scientists Say

MrBishop

LONDON (Reuters) - Humans were born to run and evolved from ape-like creatures into the way they look today probably because of the need to cover long distances and compete for food, scientists said on Wednesday.

From tendons and ligaments in the legs and feet that act like springs and skull features that help prevent overheating, to well-defined buttocks that stabilize the body, the human anatomy is shaped for running.

"We do it because we are good at it. We enjoy it and we have all kinds of specializations that permit us to run well," said Daniel Liberman, a professor of anthropology at Harvard University in Massachusetts.

"There are all kinds of features that we see in the human body that are critical for running," he told Reuters.

more

I like this bit :D
Big buttocks are also important.

"Have you ever looked at an ape? They have no buns," said Bramble.

Humans lean forward when they run and the buttocks "keep you from pitching over on your nose each time a foot hits the ground," he added.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
It's about time scientists started writing about the positive effects of a well-defined buttocks. I've been looking at them for years. ;)

Inkara1

Amazingly enough, that song popped into my head as soon as I clicked on the thread title, even before seeing chcr's post. :D

chcr

Too cute for words
Actually, when the trees started dying out and the grasslands started taking over, we became bipedal to be able to see said quadripedal predators at a greater distance, but you knew that, didn't you? ;)

tank girl

*looks at short legs...*

my legs obviously didn't figure the running part out...

however it looks as though my ass needed no encouragement whatsoever, lol :moon2:

staffrodore

Gato_Solo said:
It's about time scientists started writing about the positive effects of a well-defined buttocks. I've been looking at them for years. ;)

Lol yeah the bigger the tush the softer the push.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
staffrodore said:
Lol yeah the bigger the tush the softer the push.

Now, now...It's not just size...it's shape. :grinyes:

For Ku'u...

We could never outrun those quadrupedal predators. That's why we got larger brains and started using tools to overcome our weaknesses...
After all...nothing makes a predator think about a future meal like a sharpened stick in the side... ;)

BeardofPants

No, no you've got it all wrong. Clearly, hominids became bipedal so that they snatch their pants to their heinies and run like the wiiiind away from my ancestors. :tardbang:

Mare

MrBishop said:
LONDON (Reuters) - Humans were born to run and evolved from ape-like creatures into the way they look today probably because of the need to cover long distances and compete for food, scientists said on Wednesday.

From tendons and ligaments in the legs and feet that act like springs and skull features that help prevent overheating, to well-defined buttocks that stabilize the body, the human anatomy is shaped for running.

"We do it because we are good at it. We enjoy it and we have all kinds of specializations that permit us to run well," said Daniel Liberman, a professor of anthropology at Harvard University in Massachusetts.

"There are all kinds of features that we see in the human body that are critical for running," he told Reuters.

more

I like this bit :D

Not sure what the scientists say, BUT, when I was pregnant with my Matthew, whenever I had a ultrasound they told me he was running in there!!!! Would never sit still for a single moment to get a good pic! They always told me HE was going to come out with running shoes on.
They were wrong: he had no shoes on. But know what: I left the DAMN manual at the hospital that told me all the wrongs to make right.