Hypodermic Question

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Do you agree that needles hurt?

spamdog.jpg

Needles dont bother me unless they pass through both sides of the vein altogether. I've had them end up in the muscle... owie.

Nice theft of the National Lampoon ad campaign from 25 years ago.

needles only hurt if not used correctly. the manufacturers can make them so sharp now, that you shouldn't feel them at all.

Depends on how big (thick) the needle is... Getting a 14 guage when giving blood hurts no matter how sharp it is. :eek: Getting a butterfly 24g is like not even feeling it at all... :)

OMG! That picture is SO mean and so are you Hex for saying what you did!!! :(

I like getting shots, as long is it's high grade heroin. I've found that after the shot, you really don't feel a thing.

needles itself don't hurt. i just HATE it when something perforates my veins...it's not normal...they scare the hell out of me!

yes, the usual childhood trauma thing :crying3:

greenfreak said:
Depends on how big (thick) the needle is... Getting a 14 guage when giving blood hurts no matter how sharp it is. :eek: Getting a butterfly 24g is like not even feeling it at all... :)

technique and skill have a lot to do with it too. i've given blood and there were a couple of times i barely felt the needle. of course there were times when i was sure they came at the vein at a 45 degree angle and used a ball-peen hammer for good measure.

Shadowfax said:
needles itself don't hurt. i just HATE it when something perforates my veins...it's not normal...they scare the hell out of me!

yes, the usual childhood trauma thing :crying3:

download.php

:D

Spot said:
greenfreak said:

technique and skill have a lot to do with it too. i've given blood and there were a couple of times i barely felt the needle. of course there were times when i was sure they came at the vein at a 45 degree angle and used a ball-peen hammer for good measure.

Yeah, I'd say the hammer would be a bit overkill ;) but we were actually taught to go in on a 45 degree angle until the vein is perforated, then level the needle to the arm and advance the catheter... But what better way to do an IV and establish the level of conciousness by making it hurt? ;)

unclehobart said:
whats the term for going in one side of the vein and out the back? A clean through and through. pain pain pain

I think it's called hobarting.

Back