Hypodermic Question

Infiltration. Pain and a HUGE bruise afterwards. Had quite a few of those in my AEMT class when we were learning how to stick.

mhhh...it sounded creepy though...

so far for my medical knowledge. good thing for humanity i'm not a doctor :D

Shadowfax said:
mhhh...it sounded creepy though...

so far for my medical knowledge. good thing for humanity i'm not a doctor :D
Don't ever do the sounding technique on someone... :sick:

unclehobart said:
Shadowfax said:
catheterisation?

dunno about the spelling...
Dude... thats for pee, not a needle in the arm.

actually, its both. the part of the needle that stays in your arm is called a catheter.

greenie- if you go in low, 5-10 degrees, there is less chance of blowing the vein. the new needles are so sharp now that you can't feel the needle breaking into the vein anymore.
i agree about the LOC part. works great for pains in the ass too. :D :D
(not that i've ever done that.. ;) )

One of the guys in my class was practicing on me and went in low but he didn't put enough force behind it (and didn't prep the site with alcohol) and wound up skidding the needle across my skin, actually ripping a line down it. :grumpy: They really beat me up in my 'stick group'. I have a rolling vein on top of my right hand and I was showing them how I could roll it just by moving my fingers... I had made a remark like, "Now try to hit *that* vein!" and my teacher came at me with an 18g and got it. Man did that hurt. I never said it again. :D

Spot, what do you do for a living?

greenfreak said:
One of the guys in my class was practicing on me and went in low but he didn't put enough force behind it (and didn't prep the site with alcohol) and wound up skidding the needle across my skin, actually ripping a line down it. :grumpy: They really beat me up in my 'stick group'. I have a rolling vein on top of my right hand and I was showing them how I could roll it just by moving my fingers... I had made a remark like, "Now try to hit *that* vein!" and my teacher came at me with an 18g and got it. Man did that hurt. I never said it again. :D

Spot, what do you do for a living?

ouch...very bad technique. he needed to pull the skin and vein down with the thumb on the free hand. that would have tightened the skin up and stabilized the vein.
your teacher was a bit of a sadist. an 18 in the hand. *cringe*
when i first learned how to start iv's, i was considerably lighter than i am now and i had veins popping up all over my arms. i had to wear long sleeve shirts to keep from getting mauled. :laugh:

i'm an RN in the ER. i get to jab people with sharp objects for a living. :D :D

Iwas hospitalized once with a "fever of unknown origin" and as long as my temp stayed above 102, they took blood from each arm for testing. One night there was a newbie in the hemotology lab. She was so nervous I thought the test tube in her tray were going to break they were rattling that loud. I tried to calm her first but she very professionally said" I'm fine. I do this all the time." I knew she was lieing and I was probably her first but....
She then proceeded to take a 4 inch divot before running the needle halfway thru my forearm. I ended ub with a purple bruise that ran from 4 inches below my elbow th 3 inches above it. It took half an hour for the bleeding to stop.

Rfering to the catheder posts. There is also such thing as a centrl cathedar. About of foot of tubing in through your chest directly into your heart onto which they hook up your IV. Used if you are going to be on IV for a long time because the regular needle ones only last a few days I believe and the ones where they put the tube in your arm only last like 12 days where as the central one can last a few months if I remember correctly.

They never let us do central lines--too much of a chance that we could really hurt someone. We only had from the bend of the elbow to the hand, that was it. And we also had a rule that if you tried at one spot and didn't get it, you couldn't go below that spot, you had to go above. So if you went for the AC in the bend of the elbow and you missed, you were screwed.

Spot, that's cool, do you like your job? I worked in an ER for a while, doing IV's, triage and such but honestly, I liked being out on the ambulance better-I never saw one patient for more than one hour. No extended care. :) I also made the mistake of doing private ambulance services, doing dialysis runs, nursing home to hospital, vice versa... It got to me after a while. This one old lady thought I was her daughter and cried whenever I would leave her at dialysis. :(

I only know about the central cathedar cause my dad had a few of them. Not at the same time of course....

MD's are the only ones that can put central lines in. those go into the jugluar vein.
greenie- working in the ER is much better than working the floor, you dont have the same patients every day. (kinda like why you like the ambulance better) i am getting quite burnt from being an RN. very draining. the bad days are outnumbering the good days.

Can you transfer to the ER? Have you considered private practice? A friend of mine did that and wound up running the office after 6 months... She enjoyed it much more than the hospital or home care.

i'm already in the ER. i looked into private practices, but the pay wasn't there. its gonna take at least 2 years minimum to get another degree so its not like i'm going to melt down anytime soon. i just recognize the need for a change in the early stages.

Back