i bought a laptop O_o

BlurOfSerenity

i didnt have a computer of my very own, and laptops started looking better and better.
so yesterday i got a compaq presario m2105us, it's freaking rad.
i feel like i have to justify why it's ok for me to have this... i had to finance it, but this will be a way for me to prove to my parents that i'm responsible, because i do in fact have that capability, and it has a sweet rebate, and i did my research.
and of course i got a service plan. that is crucial.
i love this thing so far, tho. the only problem i've had with it is that my os was a bit wonky and made it run slow and made the internet stop working, but the tech guy at compusa said to reinstall the os, so i did, and now it is splendiferous.

YAY!

ps... justin/JJR512, please dont tell our parents yet, i want to be the one to tell them, and i want to get a payment or two on it first so that they dont freak out like "AHH youll never make payments, we have no faith in you, etc"
thx

ash r said:
i didnt have a computer of my very own, and laptops started looking better and better.
so yesterday i got a compaq presario m2105us, it's freaking rad.
i feel like i have to justify why it's ok for me to have this... i had to finance it, but this will be a way for me to prove to my parents that i'm responsible, because i do in fact have that capability, and it has a sweet rebate, and i did my research.
and of course i got a service plan. that is crucial.
i love this thing so far, tho. the only problem i've had with it is that my os was a bit wonky and made it run slow and made the internet stop working, but the tech guy at compusa said to reinstall the os, so i did, and now it is splendiferous.

YAY!

Ummm...for the price of that laptop, you could've built a desktop system, and had a nice chunk of change left over. That's with an OS. HOWEVER...you can't take a desktop on a bus, can you? ;)

One more thing...there is no such word as "splendiferous". :p

Gato_Solo said:
Ummm...for the price of that laptop, you could've built a desktop system, and had a nice chunk of change left over. That's with an OS. HOWEVER...you can't take a desktop on a bus, can you? ;)

Or to the Wi-Fi coffee shop.

Oh yeah.
Urrghh, ughh, aaccckkkk, choke, wheeze, COMPAQ??????

Gato_Solo said:

crazy rebate action made it $550!

generally, i wouldn't recommend a compaq to anyone. but if you've got a service plan on it then you should be doing alright. congrats on getting your first laptop! if you're taking it out and about with you, i'd try to keep in something that looks as unlike a laptop case as possible, any half-assed thief can spot a laptop case a mile away. My notebook lives in a neoprene sleeve, stuffed inside a snowboard backpack that has just enough space for the computer and the cords, cables, and whatnot.

tommyj27 said:
generally, i wouldn't recommend a compaq to anyone. but if you've got a service plan on it then you should be doing alright. congrats on getting your first laptop! if you're taking it out and about with you, i'd try to keep in something that looks as unlike a laptop case as possible, any half-assed thief can spot a laptop case a mile away. My notebook lives in a neoprene sleeve, stuffed inside a snowboard backpack that has just enough space for the computer and the cords, cables, and whatnot.

I have a laptop case that looks like a laptop case but I saw some crazy ass laptop cases that look like leather handbags yesterday!!

Normally if I'm just taking it to school to work though I put it in my backpack. There is a laptop section in it and even though it doesn't have the floating cradle thing I am just extra careful and don't put any heavy books in with it. If I'm taking it for all day I have no choice but to use the case...but then again...with the number of people all over campus anyone would be a fool to try to mug someone :)

a neoprene case will also keep it from getting all scratched up in a bag. it's not as big a concern with my thinkpad since it's made of magnesium or something. but my old dell pig was scratched up after a couple weeks of riding in my bag unprotected, that case is plastic, and i'm guessing that compaq probably doesn't invest in super durable materials for their laptops either.

tommyj27 said:
a neoprene case will also keep it from getting all scratched up in a bag. it's not as big a concern with my thinkpad since it's made of magnesium or something. but my old dell pig was scratched up after a couple weeks of riding in my bag unprotected, that case is plastic, and i'm guessing that compaq probably doesn't invest in super durable materials for their laptops either.

*taps her HP*

PLASTIC :D

A seperate section works to for non scratching. It's a special section made especially for laptops in my bag...

i bought a messenger bag a year ot two ago and carried it as a purse.. it took me a while to figure out what the padded section in it was, that's when i realised i had a laptop bag! i still think it looks like a normal messenger bag, especially since i drew and wrote all over it in sharpie like i do with every messenger bag i own, lol. actually i have a picture!
what do you think?
mybagrocks1.jpg

it doesnt have the pink ribbon anymore, tho.

i need to get a chillmat. my bf jay got one for his and i was using it for a little bit and it was neat. now my laptop's kinda warm and i have it up on cd cases, lol.

ash r said:
i need to get a chillmat. my bf jay got one for his and i was using it for a little bit and it was neat. now my laptop's kinda warm and i have it up on cd cases, lol.

SHould laptops really get that hot?? Mine has an Athlon XP processor and never gets that hot...the only place you can feel heat is from the fan vent and even right now that isn't hot...

!!

splendiferous
splen-di-fe-rous adj
the state of bearing splendor.
from the Latin splendidus, from splendEre to shine, and the Latin -fer, to bear.

with help from m-w.com

Nixy said:
SHould laptops really get that hot?? Mine has an Athlon XP processor and never gets that hot...the only place you can feel heat is from the fan vent and even right now that isn't hot...

My first Toshiba had a Pentium 3 in it, and it got really hot all the time to the point where it would shut off. Turns out I had a fucked up fan, so they fixed it and it was great after that.

Then there was my Dell...which is a whole other story, but it rarely got hot.

So here I am with my new better-than-Dell Toshiba with an Intel Celeron, and it hasn't gotten hot since I bought it a month ago.

In conclusion, I don't think laptops should get that hot.

my friend shannon's laptop, an hp, would get really hot and shut itself off, too. eventually while desperately seeking a solution to this, she ended up crashing her hard drive. (really, turning it upside down so the vents point up does seem logical) her experience has made me nervous >_< so i'm kind of paranoid about making sure it's not too hot. what i think is hot might not even be hot... i think i'm just paranoid

Back