i don't get it

tonksy

so help me to understand....a customer of mine the other day says to me, "excuse me miss, but i just saw the cook touch my raw egg to get a shell out"...i look at her like "...and?" and she looks at me like she expects some action so i say "do you want new eggs" and she says "yes"....thinking...okaaay i go over and toss those eggs out and start 2 more to cooking. then i buttered her toast and removed her waffle from the iron...all with my hands...and she is totally cool with this.
why is it okay for the waitress to touch your food but the cook can't? that is his job. he cooks your food. i don't know of one single culture that doesn't touch their food whilst they cook it. you cook with your hands. your hands touch food. if you go to a restaurant i would think that you would understand that hands are going to touch you food.
am i wrong?

tonksy said:
so help me to understand....a customer of mine the other day says to me, "excuse me miss, but i just saw the cook touch my raw egg to get a shell out"...i look at her like "...and?" and she looks at me like she expects some action so i say "do you want new eggs" and she says "yes"....thinking...okaaay i go over and toss those eggs out and start 2 more to cooking. then i buttered her toast and removed her waffle from the iron...all with my hands...and she is totally cool with this.
why is it okay for the waitress to touch your food but the cook can't? that is his job. he cooks your food. i don't know of one single culture that doesn't touch their food whilst they cook it. you cook with your hands. your hands touch food. if you go to a restaurant i would think that you would understand that hands are going to touch you food.
am i wrong?

the customer is not always right.

sounds like she is one of those fusspots

Did she notice the spit in her coffee after the first sip?

Perhaps she should carry a fresh set of silverware for each bite so she doesn't contaminate herself with her own goo.

EGGS FELL FROM A BIRDS ASS IN A CESSPOOL OF STRAW AND FEATHERS and she worried about a little finger poke from a clean cook?

unclehobart said:
EGGS FELL FROM A BIRDS ASS IN A CESSPOOL OF STRAW AND FEATHERS and she worried about a little finger poke from a clean cook?
weeell...it was AR...

Cooks washt their hands and keep them clean because they handle food on a regular basis. Waitresses handle money in bill and coin forms, are often asked to buss their own tables (including removing dirty dishes, newspapers, napkins etc)..and often are too busy to wash their hands. I'd rather that a chef touch my food than a waitress or waiter.

Beyond that...customers rarely wash their hands before they eat. Yuck!

people get waaaay too obsessed with the germ thing... i worked in a pretty posh restaurant in high school, and things went on in the kitchen that would have had certain customers up in arms

a little germ here and there aint gonna kill you... at least 99.9% of the time... and if it does... at least your last meal was good ;)

there are even some who think the rash of allergies among the civilized world today is due to us being so damn antiseptic about everything

then again, some people just like to bitch

there's not much you can say as a waitress, but i'd have said something if i was eating her... i went on this date once where the girl i was with ordered french onion soup and a salad, then proceeded to explain that she wanted the onions strained out of the soup and she spelled out the details of what veggies could and could not be in the salad... she then had the audacity to complain because there were a few miniscule onions left in when the soup came... i honestly considered leaving on the spot

i don't mind warranted complaints... but that sort of thing is just insane

this one time? in a greasy spoon? I happened to glace up and look in the kitchen? And I saw the 'cook' putting raw bacon on the grill with his hands then proceed to make my sandwich without washing them first? It was sooooooooooooooo gross.

that was time one that I sent food back.

Time two, was when I ordered a children's spaghetti and meatballs and the meatballs came rare inside. During the whole e.coli. scare way back when. I also complained to head office about that one and got a free meal out of it :headbang:

That lady probably expected the cook to wear gloves, even though washing your hands early and often with soap and hot water is actually a better way to combat germs than using gloves.

*lol* He touched the egg then cooked all the germs outta it and she's worried about that? *giggles*

Leslie said:
this one time? in a greasy spoon? I happened to glace up and look in the kitchen? And I saw the 'cook' putting raw bacon on the grill with his hands then proceed to make my sandwich without washing them first? It was sooooooooooooooo gross.

that was time one that I sent food back.

that's a deffo health risk.......folks get tapeworm from idiot cooks like that :sick:

The egg thing wouldn't bother me......it was getting the bejesus cooked out of it after the cook fished the bit of shell out afterall :shrug:

I gotta admit tho'.....if I watched the cook fish the shell out and not wash his hands immediately after, I wouldn't be eating there again, it looks like he/she keeps bad hygiene habits.

tonksy said:
am i wrong?

You should've just pretended to throw them out, and give her the same plate (after a 25 second trip to the microwave)... :grinyes:

kinda unrelated, but my friend had a cockroach in his nachos once.
his wife raised a stink, and we got food for all 12 of us for free.

...and we call the place Rocky Roach now (instead of rocky run)

Oz said:
that's a deffo health risk......

Exactly....it is advised to aviod all skin contact with eggs when cooking. The fluid catches germs and bacteria off the skin very rapidly.

You touching her toast isn't as dangerous as the cook touching his hand with the raw egg......not safe thing to do at all unless you know you're hands are clean and you know you'll be eating this.

IDLEchild said:
Exactly....it is advised to aviod all skin contact with eggs when cooking. The fluid catches germs and bacteria off the skin very rapidly.

You touching her toast isn't as dangerous as the cook touching his hand with the raw egg......not safe thing to do at all unless you know you're hands are clean and you know you'll be eating this.

1. Re-read Oz's post, you missed it.
2. Explain the method by which you cook eggs without touching them. Or am I to understand that one should never eat eggs unless one cooks them oneself?

i don't get it
She was an anal-retentive moron. I know a woman who boils any loose change she gets.

Maybe she saw the cook scratch his butt or sumpin'. :shrug:

I was in Subway once and the girl making my sandwich stopped to scratch her head - we're talking serious digging here - with her little plastic gloves still on. And went right back to making my sandwich.

I mumbled something about having forgotten my wallet, and bolted.

I work part-time in a supermarket delicatessen. We use gloves for EVERYTHING. Having done an accredited healthy and safety course, I know the dangers that can exist in food preparation, so I'll freely admit that I can be a bit anal with food prep. Things like bacon, chicken, eggs, etc, all all considered high risk foods. Damned straight, I want the cook to ensure that his hands are clean... I'm the one that's gotta eat it, not him/her. :shrug:

Sharky said:
Maybe she saw the cook scratch his butt or sumpin'. :shrug:
That's what I'm thinking, picking a danglie out his ass or picking his nose. Either way I don't give a fuck if you're cooking it over hard, I'd want new eggs too.

Although, this statement really says it for me.

Unc said:

Back