i have a math question!

BlurOfSerenity

this is really nerdy, but i'm trying to figure out the nutritionals of a can of spaghettios! because the ones listed on the can are for 1 cup, and a cup, it says, is 252g. there are "about 2" servings, in the can, but the can has 425g... 2 cups would be 504g, and there's quite a difference between 504 and 425g (79g!).... so what i did was divide the calories, grams of fat, etc, by 252g, and multiplied that number by 425.
seemed to work well!

but the vitamins and minerals is where i get screwed up.
here are the facts for those, for 252g:

vitamin a: 10%
vitamin c: 10%
calcium: 30%
iron: 10%
vitamin d: 25%
thiamin: 10%
riboflavin: 10%
niacin: 15%
folic acid: 20%

so, if those are the percentages for 252g, what would they be for 425g?

(i know this sounds really crazy... but i'm trying to make a listing for it on this really awesome calorie-tracking site i've been using, http://thedailyplate.com !)

halp plz!

GrandCaravanSE

this is really nerdy, but i'm trying to figure out the nutritionals of a can of spaghettios! because the ones listed on the can are for 1 cup, and a cup, it says, is 252g. there are "about 2" servings, in the can, but the can has 425g... 2 cups would be 504g, and there's quite a difference between 504 and 425g (79g!).... so what i did was divide the calories, grams of fat, etc, by 252g, and multiplied that number by 425.
seemed to work well!

but the vitamins and minerals is where i get screwed up.
here are the facts for those, for 252g:

vitamin a: 10%
vitamin c: 10%
calcium: 30%
iron: 10%
vitamin d: 25%
thiamin: 10%
riboflavin: 10%
niacin: 15%
folic acid: 20%

so, if those are the percentages for 252g, what would they be for 425g?

(i know this sounds really crazy... but i'm trying to make a listing for it on this really awesome calorie-tracking site i've been using, http://thedailyplate.com !)

halp plz!

Why do you want to know?

BlurOfSerenity

so that i can make a complete listing on a calorie-tracking website that i've been using. all the listings on it are user-added, and i can only find ones for either the 1-cup serving, or ones that say they're for the can, but are wrong. so i wanted to figure it out correctly. i figured out the calories and fat and fiber and protein and all that good stuff, but i didn't know how to figure out the stuff listed by percentages.... me no kan add gud :(

MrBishop

425/252 = 1.68650

Multiple your percentages by 1.68 and it should give you what you want to know.

vitamin a: 16.8%
vitamin c: 16.8%
calcium: 50.6%
iron: 16.8%
vitamin d: 42%
thiamin: 16.8%
riboflavin: 16.8%
niacin: 25.2%
folic acid: 33.6%

*None of these will help with calorie/protein intake numbers tho'
They represent the average need for those ingredients, for the average person, by percentage of daily intake.

If you somehow require more or less Calcium (f'r instance) than the person the measured..your numbers will be off. Weight, gender, age, etc...will change your daily requirements.

Inkara1

I just double it when it says "about two" and count it as two servings against my quota. I'm shorting myself on food that way, I know, but there's that whole "cost-benefit ratio" thing.

BlurOfSerenity

bish: thanks! yeah, it's by the "RDA" thing, it's different for everyone, but there are fields to fill that info in on this website, and i wanted to try to get it as complete as i could. i really appreciate it!

ink: normally that's what i do, too, but this time it seemed like there was too much a difference between the assumed and actual numbers... there's a 53 calorie difference, for instance, and that might not seem like a lot, but it is if you're trying to be more exact, lol (i have too many days where i go that much over my quota, maybe this will help balance it out!) :)

H2O boy

there is always the option of realizing that spaghetti o's are not fit for human consumption as well, at least by anyone past the age of 12

BlurOfSerenity

they're actually not very bad for you... i mean, it's not like you just ate a stalk of celery, but they're fairly low in fat and calories, and there are far, far worse things you could eat than something that apparently counts as both a serving of grains and a serving as veggies!

BlurOfSerenity

and 23 servings of preservatives, and 6 doses of sodium, and...

there's so much of that in a lot of stuff, it's not like a can of s'ghettios is going to throw me off my game. i don't actually eat very much sodium.
as for preservatives, they might end up doing me a favor after i die, since i dont want to be embalmed... hmm... maybe i'll be able to go the open-casket route, after all!