i just got banned again from my other place

K62

I have such a big stack of Crappy Tire money. I should really count it up someday.

Funny thing is that I have never spent a single cent of it!

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
The Fantasia lady here accepts it so I was begging borrowing and trading it for awhile :D

Inkara1

So how exactly does Canadian Tire money work? I can pretty well figure out a $1 Canadian Tire bill is worth the same as a regular $1 bill at Canadian Tire stores. Beyond that, I'm curious. Is it something they mail to you? Do they give that out as change instead of real money?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
They give it out alongside your change instead of real money. There's gas bar money, or store and gas bar money.

It's dollar for dollar in the store. I've bought entire car parts etcetera with it in store.

Professur

Simply put, the store has to pay Visa and Mastercard a percentage (usually in the 3% range) for each transaction on a credit card. And they only pay at the end of the month. So as a way to motivate you to use cash, they offer a 3% cash back in the form of store dollars. Since they know that you'll be using that money in their store anyways, they're not actually loosing anything. The store credit card carries a similar discount. I buy several of the cleaning chemicals I use for work there. Needless to say, the CT dollars stay in my pocket. At one point, I had over $50. Bought the missus something nice with it.

Oh, and the Canadian Tire gas stops accept and give CT dollars. A quick way to bring down your fuel costs. But they don't tell you that if you use the store card, there's a cumulative discount. When I was road-teching using my own car, I was getting up to 8% off on a tank.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
My uncle (who is divorced) saves all his CT money during the year and at Christmas gives it to his kids (who are to young to have a job) so they can buy him Christmas gifts. My mom usually takes them out to do the shopping and last year with $100 they cleaned up good, it was SHOCKED at my mom's deal hunting skills :D Needless to say she'll prolly be taking them again this year :)

Inkara1

Professur said:
Simply put, the store has to pay Visa and Mastercard a percentage (usually in the 3% range) for each transaction on a credit card. And they only pay at the end of the month. So as a way to motivate you to use cash, they offer a 3% cash back in the form of store dollars. Since they know that you'll be using that money in their store anyways, they're not actually loosing anything. The store credit card carries a similar discount. I buy several of the cleaning chemicals I use for work there. Needless to say, the CT dollars stay in my pocket. At one point, I had over $50. Bought the missus something nice with it.

Oh, and the Canadian Tire gas stops accept and give CT dollars. A quick way to bring down your fuel costs. But they don't tell you that if you use the store card, there's a cumulative discount. When I was road-teching using my own car, I was getting up to 8% off on a tank.
You should try flashing an American Express or Discover card, since those charge five percent instead of three percent, and tell them you'll use it if they don't give you five percent in CTM instead of three. :D

Professur

Inkara1 said:
You should try flashing an American Express or Discover card, since those charge five percent instead of three percent, and tell them you'll use it if they don't give you five percent in CTM instead of three. :D

Well, considering that most stores up here don't take Amex, and only a few
hotels take Discover (for precisely that reason) I don't think that's gonna work out too well.