I just went camping where someone was killed recently

I have never heard of "flatmates" before. room mates yes, but not flatmates.

What bugs me most is the pavement thing. What we call a sidewalk they call the pavement. Isn't pavement something that is paved, like the road? And a sidewalk something that you walk on that is on the side of something? :confuse2:

unclehobart said:
Its easy to be English. Just stuff an useless 'u' at the second to last slot in every word with an ending vowel sound. Voweul, dog becomes doug, cat becomes caut, invasion becomes invasioun.

absolute bollocks MATE! :p:D

Flatmates is fairly uncommon in the U.S. except for certain areas. In San Fran there are tons of places that "flat" as in "railroad flat" describes far better than "apartment". In that case allot of times you end up with flatmates instead of roommates.

I'm sure this is also the case in other areas as well.

I just say flatmate now and then because my last job had a rather large contingent of Irish immigrants who were my friends. I picked up a few verbals via osmosis. You can't work next to someone for 8 years and not come away affected somehow.

Ok, irish, *lets you off hook* thats a whole nother session aye laddie?best we skip this joint and find some good craic :laugh:

Im wondering if 'good craic' its being trite. Craic being something like 'a good time' ... wouldn't that read as 'good good time?' I think you just need to be lookin' fore some craic, aye laddie.

I spent a weekend at a conference with an Irish co-worker a year ago and found myself taliking like him for a couple days after.

I still say "as well" now because of him.

LastLegionary said:
I have never heard of "flatmates" before. room mates yes, but not flatmates.

What bugs me most is the pavement thing. What we call a sidewalk they call the pavement. Isn't pavement something that is paved, like the road? And a sidewalk something that you walk on that is on the side of something? :confuse2:

that would make sense, but we don't pave our roads we use tarmac or concrete. we use pavers on the bits to the side where pedestrians walk, hence pavement [i'd try to drag up my photos of cardiff paving but it makes me look tragic]

unclehobart said:
Im wondering if 'good craic' its being trite. Craic being something like 'a good time' ... wouldn't that read as 'good good time?' I think you just need to be lookin' fore some craic, aye laddie.
ok fair enough, mes not irish bway (btw, i don't speak like that, people here i spoke to can vouch for it :D )

We have ashphalt on our roads fpor the most part 9some concrete) and we have concrete sidewalks.

Also, if I watch a Bristish movie I'll be saying things like "smashing". etc for a few days after. it drives brainsoft NUTS!

sounds fine to me :)

try saying 'one fancies...' and moving into a castle, much more english ;)

I used ot want ot live in Casa Loma

I also wanted ot marry Prince william

And what's that thing about the yard?

Those English say "I'm going to the backgarden" while Americans say "I'm going to the backyard"

What's wrong with the word "yard"?

My English teacher almost killed me for saying "yard" for crying out loud. That was right after I said "ain't" which had to be "isn't" in her point of view....

WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?!

Back