I need net wheels

MrBishop

To be more specific..my minivan's gotten to the point of no-return..to much work needing doing for too little ROI.

I figured that I'd ask on here for 'the voice of experience'

I need a small MPV. Not another minivan...but something along the lines of a C-Max or a Toyota Matrix. 5-door, good head-room and 'cheap' on gas.

Any ideas?

chcr

Too cute for words
Isn't that the kind of thing Nixy drives?

I suggest a real station wagon (aka "estate car").

Professur

They don't make real station wagons any more.

For value for the buck, the Montana SV6 is hard to beat. Prices are about $15k, and it's very very good on gas. Far better handling than most minivans, indeed, better than many sedans. Chic, correct me if I'm wrong , but they do have that intake leak sorted with the 3.5, don't they? I wouldn't skimp on room at this stage. The missus did that buying the Malibu and everyone regrets it.

Beyond that, subaru continues to build phenominal quality, with good mileage. Biggest hassle with them is finding someone other than the dealership that can fix them. That situation might be better now, than it was when I retired mine. The legacy has the winter advantage of AWD, and more than enough room for 4 without being "built up" uselessly.

MrBishop

Might I ask, what's wrong with your van that's adding all those straws?

Head gasket - two day's work $1200
1 shock leaking - $200 for the shock+install. Chances are that if one needs work, the other does as well.
1 shock tower-fix. Needs a plate welded to it - $700
2 new all-season tires - $200
2 new winter tires - $250

So...we're at $3k for a 10 year old van with 194k KMS on it. Not counting anything that comes up over the next year (which is an estimate as to how long the rest of the car would last if I got all the work done).

MrBishop

I'm seeing the SV6 at $25k+
Subaru's not much better. I'd be intersted in seeing where you saw $15k for the SV6

Professur

Head gasket - two day's work $1200
1 shock leaking - $200 for the shock+install. Chances are that if one needs work, the other does as well.
1 shock tower-fix. Needs a plate welded to it - $700
2 new all-season tires - $200
2 new winter tires - $250

So...we're at $3k for a 10 year old van with 194k KMS on it. Not counting anything that comes up over the next year (which is an estimate as to how long the rest of the car would last if I got all the work done).

The head gasket price is consistent with what I paid for mine. Nature of the beast with any horizontally mounted v6 engine, in pretty much any minivan or crossover. Simply no way to get at those rear bolts without pulling the block. Shocks, like brakes, always in pairs. Tires, that's pretty low. I was looking $130 a corner for winters, $80 for summers. I didn't realize yours was that old. But then, I'm puttering about in one half as old again.

Professur

If the HHR fits your bill, then the Kia Rondo would probably fit it even better. HomeLan went with one of them, and he's a guy who does research before he he buys a roll of toilet paper.

Inkara1

Are you looking new or used? You might consider something like, say, a Toyota Matrix or a Mazda Protege5 or Mazda 3 5-door, or if they sell the Pontiac Vibe up there (that's a Matrix with a Pontiac badge).

Sharky

My neighbor's daughter and son-in-law bought a slightly used Honda Element super cheap in excellent condition. They love it. It has been stone reliable, gets good gas mileage, and has a TON of room inside.

The Mazdas are good choices also, Car and Driver magazine raves about the 3.

I drove a Chevy HHR rental a couple of years ago. It was very peppy around town, got good gas mileage, had lots of cool standard features, was roomy inside and was built tighter than a duck's butt. They are an excellent value.

Edmunds.com is a good place to do research and read reviews, as well as find local pricing on new and used units.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Chic: I don't drive a 5 door. I have a Pontiac Pursuit (also known as the G5). Unfortunately for me GM has lowered their new prices so much mine is worth very little these days. Blah.

Inkara1

Chic: I don't drive a 5 door. I have a Pontiac Pursuit (also known as the G5). Unfortunately for me GM has lowered their new prices so much mine is worth very little these days. Blah.

Is that why you said you won't be buying GM again?

chcr

Too cute for words

Sorry. I couldn't remember and was too lazy to search. ;)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Is that why you said you won't be buying GM again?

No, their new prices are already dropped...I doubt the same thing would be able to happen if I bought new GM again. How much further can their prices really drop?

Why I wouldn' t buy again:

1 - I feel I've been lucky with my car. I've know a lot of people who have a lot of problems with their GMs (met these people/found this out after I got my car).

2 - As far as I can tell all the GM dealerships in this city are assholes. I refuse to buy a car if there's not at least one decent dealership in close proximity for me to deal with on warranty issues and the like.

3 - I want a truck, a Ford truck (I do need to do more research into that before I buy again though because the "I want the G5 so I'm getting the G5" attitude bite me in the ass in little bit...not much, it just means I now need to drive the car into the ground which was always the main intention, I'd just like the option to trade it to be viable)

4 - While I am absolutely in love with my car there is no other GM vehicle that even begins to rev my engine, so to speak.