If global warming causes storms ...

"We" doesn't include those with a vested interest in selling "green" products & "new" sources of energy.

Actually it does. Although those with a vested interest in raping the environment for fossil fuels don't admit to understanding the situation at all.

Con 1- "what're ya in for?"

Con 2 - "Excessive carbon useage"....

it really isn't that funny

The Carbon Cult also wants to choose what you food you eat, and will carefully pre-select only the most righteous retailers. Veggies will be pleased to read that the report recommends "actively seeking retailers on site who will commit to supporting residents in reducing the ecological footprint of their food consumption, in particular providing a wide variety of healthy, low meat and dairy options."

So does that mean that they will plan their meals around foods with a low flatulence coefficient?

Scientists say they have found a hole in Earth's magnetic field

LOS ANGELES - Recent satellite observations have revealed the largest breach yet seen in the magnetic field that protects Earth from most of the sun's violent blasts.

Researchers say the discovery was made last summer by Themis, a fleet of five small NASA satellites. Scientists have long known that the Earth's magnetic field, which guards against severe space weather, is similar to a drafty old house that sometimes lets in violent eruptions of charged particles from the sun.

Such a breach can cause brilliant auroras or disrupt satellite and ground communications.

Observations from Themis show the Earth's magnetic field occasionally develops two cracks.

They allow solar wind - a stream of charged particles spewing from the sun at 1 million mph - to penetrate the Earth's upper atmosphere.

Last summer, Themis calculated a layer of solar particles to be at least 6,500 kilometres thick in the outermost part of the Earth's magnetosphere, the largest tear of the protective shield found so far.

"It was growing rather fast," Themis scientist Marit Oieroset of the University of California, Berkeley told an American Geophysical Union meeting in San Francisco.

The research was funded by NASA and the National Science Foundation.

Scientists initially believed the greatest solar breach occurred when the Earth's and sun's magnetic fields are pointed in opposite directions.

However, data from Themis found the opposite to be true.

Twenty times more solar wind passed into the Earth's protective shield when the magnetic fields were aligned, Oieroset said.

The Themis results could have bearing on how scientists predict the severity of solar storms and their effects on power grids, airline and military communications and satellite signals.

source

So much for the experts.

That's a theory cat. It only takes solar flares several minutes to get here form the sun. Of course, you don't really see them coming.

That's not exactly true. A solar flare has several components that travel at different speeds. The light and radiation arrive at the speed of light ... but that's not the big worry. It's the cloud of charged particles that follow about 3 days behind that do all the damage.

That's a theory cat. It only takes solar flares several minutes to get here form the sun. Of course, you don't really see them coming.

yeah, but this one is from the team I have the most faith in.

still, guess I shouldn't spout it as fact, or leave it for that interpretation.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I do slip periodically. ;)

That's not exactly true. A solar flare has several components that travel at different speeds. The light and radiation arrive at the speed of light ... but that's not the big worry. It's the cloud of charged particles that follow about 3 days behind that do all the damage.
You're right, of course. It's the radiation that harms us (potentially) but it's the charged particles that play hob with everything in electronic or electrical. In any case, 3 days isn't really enough warning to mount an effective defense.

Now, the magnetic field doesn't really do that much re the charged particles, does it?

That giant sun flair due to hit in 2012 is more concerning to me.

Scientists cannot predict next week's weather on the globe upon which they stand and you have great faith in their ability to predict happenings 93 million miles away in four years? You need to pay more attention to what is said HERE.

Hathaway's predictions have been so incredibly wrong, and changed so often, that they even have an animation on how his predictions have changed over time.

ssn_predict_nasa.gif

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,468268,00.html

Magnetic Field Hole Could Cripple Communications

Friday, December 19, 2008

By Andrea Thompson

The leaks are defying many of scientists' previous ideas on how the interaction between Earth's magnetosphere and solar wind occurs: The leaks are in an unexpected location, let in solar particles in faster than expected and the whole interaction works in a manner that is completely the opposite of what scientists had thought.

The new observations "overturn the way that we understand how the sun's magnetic field interacts with the Earth's magnetic field," said David Sibeck of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md., during a press conference today at the annual meeting of the American Geophysical Union in San Francisco.

Scientists had thought that more solar particles entered Earth's magnetosphere when the sun's field was oriented southward (anti-aligned to the Earth's), but the opposite turned out to be the case, the new research shows.

Essentially, the Earth's magnetic shield is at its strongest when scientists had thought it would be at its weakest.

This finding not only has implications for scientists' understanding of the interaction between the sun and Earth's magnetosphere, but for predicting the effects to Earth during the next peak in the solar cycle.

This upcoming active period now looks like it will be more intense than the previous one, which peaked around 2006, some scientists think.

So they still don't know; but they still think a lot.

Of course this is bad news which will always make the press come out screaming "We're all gonna die!" We'll see what they have to say in four years when it fails to manifest.

Now, the magnetic field doesn't really do that much re the charged particles, does it?

I could be wrong, but as I understand it, everything the magnetic field does relates to the charged particles. The radiation gets stopped by the ozone layer.

But you have to remember that much of what is called radiation is in fact charged particles. Alpha radiation is a helium nucleus stripped of any electrons. Beta particles are highly energized electrons. Both of which the magnetic field will catch or redirect.

I could be wrong, but as I understand it, everything the magnetic field does relates to the charged particles. The radiation gets stopped by the ozone layer.

But you have to remember that much of what is called radiation is in fact charged particles. Alpha radiation is a helium nucleus stripped of any electrons. Beta particles are highly energized electrons. Both of which the magnetic field will catch or redirect.
You could be right. It's been a long time since college.

I looked it up. :nerd: For some reason I'd gotten what the atmosphere vs. the magnetosphere protect us from reversed. Senility is creeping in.

Back