If I wanted to learn Linux...

I suppose that sounded kind of confusing.

I wanted to put a hdd in a case with a cdrom drive so I could install linux for my POS.

The Linux for Dummies book with RHL 8.0 I want to buy to put on my Thinkpad.

I am planning on using RHL on my laptop for learning the OS. Then, when I am better at handling it, I will tinker with the POS and get some kind of system running on that. Make sense?

I think it would be fun to see what I could manage to get that 486 POS to do. :evilcool:

Mirlyn said:
Depends on the distro and what you want to do with it.

Smallest machine I used was a P166 with 32meg and a 2gig drive. But it was for a DNS server, no xwindows or anything.

I'm going to say anything 300+mhz with at least 64meg and 4 gig ought to be bare minimum for most distros. Beware though, as this *will* run slow. :headbang:

That's what I like about this Slackware I got on the POS. It runs just fine. No GUI, just the commandline. But then again, what good would a GUI be if I don't know the fundamentals of linux? Commandline is perfect for this old beast.

pc_builder said:
BUT..... I may be able to rig up some kind of fix. I could cut a hole in the side of the computer case... omg!

Don't stress it too much, that model won't allow you to boot from a cd anyway.

Luis G said:
Don't stress it too much, that model won't allow you to boot from a cd anyway.

Yeah, I figured that wouldn't work very good. I'm just going to get a slightly bigger harddrive, build something out of my spare parts so I can have a cdrom drive, install using that machine then transfer the harddrive to the POS.

the red hat book looked pretty basic, i checked it out from the library and my brother (who knows nothing about computers) read part of it, if you don't want to pay for it you may want to take a look at the Rute book, which is available for free online. I believe a part of it focuses on the RH certs.
http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz

if you ever get that thing running well enough and recompile the kernel let us know how long it takes. my gateway takes at least an hour and a half and it's a P200.

tommyj27 said:
the red hat book looked pretty basic, i checked it out from the library and my brother (who knows nothing about computers) read part of it, if you don't want to pay for it you may want to take a look at the Rute book, which is available for free online. I believe a part of it focuses on the RH certs.
http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz

if you ever get that thing running well enough and recompile the kernel let us know how long it takes. my gateway takes at least an hour and a half and it's a P200.

That's something I ought to try out. The Rute book, and recompiling the kernel. Heh heh, when I do it, I'll let you know how many days it takes. :tardbang:

Back