If the construction workers won't build the mosque, who will?

jimpeel

Imported workers will not be looked upon favorably and scab labor will never get permit inspections approved.

SOURCE

They won't build it! Hardhats vow not to work on controversial mosque near Ground Zero

BY Samuel Goldsmith
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Friday, August 20th 2010, 4:00 AM

A growing number of New York construction workers are vowing not to work on the mosque planned near Ground Zero.

"It's a very touchy thing because they want to do this on sacred ground," said Dave Kaiser, 38, a blaster who is working to rebuild the World Trade Center site.

"I wouldn't work there, especially after I found out about what the imam said about U.S. policy being responsible for 9/11," Kaiser said.

The grass-roots movement is gaining momentum on the Internet. One construction worker created the "Hard Hat Pledge" on his blog and asked others to vow not to work on the project if it stays on Park Place.

"Thousands of people are signing up from all over the country," said creator Andy Sullivan, a construction worker from Brooklyn. "People who sell glass, steel, lumber, insurance. They are all refusing to do work if they build there."

"Hopefully, this will be a tool to get them to move it," he said. "I got a problem with this ostentatious building looming over Ground Zero."

A planned 13-story community center and mosque two blocks from Ground Zero, Park51 has exploded into a national debate.

Louis Coletti, president of the Building Trades Employers' Association, said unions have not yet taken a "formal position" on Park51, but he understands why members would be hesitant to work there.

"It's a very difficult dilemma for the contractors and the organized labor force because we are experiencing such high levels of unemployment," he said. "Yet at the same time, this is a very sacred sight to the union guys."

"There were construction workers killed on 9/11 and many more who got horribly sick cleaning up Ground Zero," Coletti said. "It's very emotional."

L.V. Spina, a Manhattan construction worker who created anti-mosque stickers that some workers are slapping on their hardhats, said he would "rather pick cans and bottles out of trash cans" than build the Islamic center near Ground Zero.

"But if they moved it somewhere else, we would put up a prime building for these people," he said. "Hell, you could do it next to my house in Rockaway Beach, I would be fine with it. But I'm not fine with it where blood has been spilled."

Spina, who sells 9/11 apparel on his website, said he's printed thousands of stickers and plans to produce thousands more.

"They're going all over the country," he said. "They got pretty popular fast."

Popularity aside, there are some construction workers choosing not to set themselves against the project.

"Hundreds of guys here are wearing stickers as a sign of protest, but I'm on the fence about it," said Frank Langan, 50, a site superintendent from Queens working at Ground Zero.

"It's a tough debate," he said. "I sympathize with workers' position, but at the same time, you can't single out all Muslims because of a small number of terrorists."

[email protected]

Altron

Breaking News - This just in: people are ignorant, and willing to make sweeping generalizations about a huge group of people based on the actions of a minority within them. More at 11. Back to you, Jim.

Cerise

Our Top Story Tonight: Sharia law mandates that all Moosie subjugated women line up for hard hats and steel toed boots!

catocom

Breaking News - This just in: people are ignorant, and willing to make sweeping generalizations about a huge group of people based on the actions of a minority within them. More at 11. Back to you, Jim.

I think there are many looking Directly at this particular Imam.

Even if it was a so-called Christian Church, if the leader had questionable ties,
I'd still want to know the questions being asked.

Some people want to make sweeping generalizations about a huge group of people
based on the actions of a minority within them, when it comes to
judging those opposed.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member

Boy, I'd hate to live in a nation where the community saying NO meant nothing. Wher you are forced to create something agaisnt your will. Oberman says it's a community center, not a mosque (well, their website says different...

•a mosque, intended to be run separately from Park51 but open to and accessible to all members, visitors and our New York community.

'Damnit, Jim, I'm a community center meant to bring our city together, not a political point'. It should be built to appease the comminties hatred of Muslims (there are only 600,000 in NYC) & they're all hated & feared. There aren't enough Mosques (over 100 in NYC & 38 in Manhattan alone). This Imam could build it uptown or downtown or on the westside & nobody would care. But ONLY if it goes within 500' of ground zero can it bring peace, love & understanding to such a visceral population.

As for the construction workers...nice sentiment but they'll find someone willing to work it & then they'll sue every contractor they can for being blackballed later.

I am dumbfounded at the idea of liberals standing up for a religion & speaking positively about the 1st amendment clause though.

Dave

Boy, I'd hate to live in a nation where the community saying NO meant nothing. Wher you are forced to create something agaisnt your will. Oberman says it's a community center, not a mosque (well, their website says different...

•a mosque, intended to be run separately from Park51 but open to and accessible to all members, visitors and our New York community.

'Damnit, Jim, I'm a community center meant to bring our city together, not a political point'. It should be built to appease the comminties hatred of Muslims (there are only 600,000 in NYC) & they're all hated & feared. There aren't enough Mosques (over 100 in NYC & 38 in Manhattan alone). This Imam could build it uptown or downtown or on the westside & nobody would care. But ONLY if it goes within 500' of ground zero can it bring peace, love & understanding to such a visceral population.

As for the construction workers...nice sentiment but they'll find someone willing to work it & then they'll sue every contractor they can for being blackballed later.

I am dumbfounded at the idea of liberals standing up for a religion & speaking positively about the 1st amendment clause though.

What he said....

Winky

build a mosque on ground zero and admit defeat

If this country has to argue over whether or not
a Moosie Mosque clearly funded by Islamic terrorist organizations,
should be built overlooking the former site of the World Trade center…

Then we deserve what ever else the evil people of the world
want to ram up our asses and should damn well smile
while they do it!

2dr75f8.jpg

Winky

Let em build the damn thing

Truth is with all that is going on that really matters
I couldn’t care less if they build the damn thing or not.
There sure as heck are a lot more important things that
require immediate attention that some stupid attempt
by guys with rags on their heads to thumb their noses at us.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Bob is right. We do need to get over it. Just as soon as we get over Pearl Harbor, we'll begin working on that.

Winky

Great Idea Gonz We can start getting over it
but first let’s firebomb their cities into rubble and
top it off with two cities flattened by nukes and
their unconditional surrender?

Then they all have to accept western culture and
western style government, then we will get over it.

k3rokw.jpg

jimpeel

FLASH! In a vote today Muslim women have won the right to be subjugated by their husbands; be treated as second class citizens; being beaten by any man who finds them dressed inappropriately; being owned and sold as chattel; being stoned to death for crimes committed upon them by men; and being made to submit to female circumcision.

While this was a hard won vote, in a show of solidarity, the number of men voting for giving women these rights was an overwhelming one-hundred percent.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

2minkey

bootlicker
FLASH! In a vote today Muslim women have won the right to be subjugated by their husbands; be treated as second class citizens; being beaten by any man who finds them dressed inappropriately; being owned and sold as chattel; being stoned to death for crimes committed upon them by men; and being made to submit to female circumcision.

While this was a hard won vote, in a show of solidarity, the number of men voting for giving women these rights was an overwhelming one-hundred percent.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

now thems are some true "conservatives." i'll bet you find their ideas about as barbaric as i find... yours...

Winky

Ground zero Mosque are you serious, are you serious?

I guess trimming the drapes when properly done isn’t so bad,
we mustn’t have them dragging on the floor now can we?