Important notice: Server move

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
It is indeed. Nice of you to stop by too, if you aren't easily offended, you should stay awhile.

Professur

insiderhosting said:
Hi Guys and Gals,
We are the new hosting provider for this site and we felt that we should address some concerns that some of you have had. Prior to the site being transferred to our servers, we were going to have fury shut down the board, then we were going to run the import. However, things didn't pan out this way with the tragic event of his aunt's passing, and we could not get ahold of him. So we had no choice but to move the forum as is, since we didn't have the vbulletin login details.

When some of you reported that you were seeing the some posts one moment then the post was gone another it was because the site never hadn't fully resolved. The process of dns resolution is tricky, but it really depends on how fast your individual ISPs clear out their dns cache. That is how some people figured they were on the new forum, and others thought that they were on the old one. The bottom line is that everything is now resolved and the site is loading faster than I can say OTcentral.

Steven Mizrahie
Insiderhosting.com

Well, Steven, I hope Sam and Fury aren't going to have to pay for the bandwidth your message is taking up.

insiderhosting

Professur said:
insiderhosting said:
Hi Guys and Gals,
We are the new hosting provider for this site and we felt that we should address some concerns that some of you have had. Prior to the site being transferred to our servers, we were going to have fury shut down the board, then we were going to run the import. However, things didn't pan out this way with the tragic event of his aunt's passing, and we could not get ahold of him. So we had no choice but to move the forum as is, since we didn't have the vbulletin login details.

When some of you reported that you were seeing the some posts one moment then the post was gone another it was because the site never hadn't fully resolved. The process of dns resolution is tricky, but it really depends on how fast your individual ISPs clear out their dns cache. That is how some people figured they were on the new forum, and others thought that they were on the old one. The bottom line is that everything is now resolved and the site is loading faster than I can say OTcentral.

Steven Mizrahie
Insiderhosting.com

Well, Steven, I hope Sam and Fury aren't going to have to pay for the bandwidth your message is taking up.

No but I'll charge them happily for yours, thank you!

-Steven

dan

this "it's all about how long your ISP caches the DNS" for business sounds... well... fishy at least, and like crap at worst...

Each DNS record has a field called TTL which says how long ISPs are allowed to cache the response for, so the time taken is at most the time specified by the owner of the record. okay, some DNS servers might be rebooted or whatever, but in the general case it's TTL.

But anyway, what i saw, and i expect what a lot of people saw, was not that the wrong server was being resolved, but that the address wasn't resolving at all.

DNS was saying that otcentral.com just plain didn't exist.

that's not caching, surely?

i suppose that type of response might have happened if the original DNS server was taken down and everyone sat around waiting for the new one to appear, but that'd just be silly considering it gave me a good couple of days downtime...

correct me if i'm wrong, but negative responses are only cached for a maximum of 5 minutes... a couple of days would be plenty of time for those to become uncached...

i guess it doesn't really matter anymore... sounds like there's some glossing over happening though...

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
insiderhosting said:
The bottom line is that everything is now resolved and the site is loading faster than I can say OTcentral.

You're one of those SLOW readers, aren't you? :hmm:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
You guys are silly, it loads SO fast that we get errors because our computers aren't fast enough!!! :tardbang:

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
:confuse3:
Warning: User samcurry_db@localhost has already more than 'max_user_connections' active connections in /home/samcurry/public_html/otcentral/forum/admin/db_mysql.php on line 40