In Vehicle First Aid Kit

MrBishop

* I'm posting this because I got to use part of mine recently at an accident scene. It was someone else's accident, but I stopped and used my own kit to help them out. They didn't have their own kit at all. I got to thinking that I need to replace a few items in my bag.

Do it yourself kit

STEP 1: Buy a waterproof sack that's large enough for everything you need. *A backpack is best if you need to move it from one place to another and you can attach reflective strips to it easily. Include a smaller plastic bag inside it to keep your medical supplies dry. I use Ziplock freezer bags.

STEP 2: Pack a flashlight, a blanket, two large bottles of water, $20 in cash, safety streamers, chemical lights, a whistle and, if you have a baby, a few emergency diapers.

STEP 3: Include everything you might need for a medical emergency:

• 4-by-4-inch nonadhesive bandages
  • gauze and medical tape
  • butterfly bandage strips and an elastic bandage
  • a trauma pad
  • instant ice pack
  • alcohol wipes
  • tweezers
  • swabs
  • cotton balls
  • a small pack of tissues
  • bandaids in different sizes
  • some short lengths of wood for splints
  • some hankerchief-sized strips of material *multiple uses
  • antibiotic ointment
  • tincture of benzoin or mercurochrome
  • insect sting relief pads or bite-B-gone sticks
  • cortisone cream
  • ** Include aspirin/advil for pain
  • antihistamines for allergic reactions.
  • A first aid book

STEP 4: Keep a pencil and pad of paper on hand in case you need to write down directions or a phone number. HAving a cel phone is a good plus.

For winter seasons, I keep an additional blanket or two in the car, plus some candles. *It's amazing how much heat a candle can generate in a car if the engine is off.

That's it. If you can add something, please do. If you don't have a kit in your wheels, please get one. Even if you're not all that good at first aid...every little bit helps.

Drive carefully! :beardbng:

highwayman

Don't forget the turnicats for those pesky nose bleeds...

Seriously, it's a good idea to have something on hand in case it is needed and check it on a regular basis to make sure it is stocked up...

tonksy

You might want to think of adding a tube of cake decorating gel for any diabetics that might have a low sugar episode. The gel is thick and easily dispensable and the air tight packaging can keep almost indefinitely. Not to mention that it is way cheaper than the stuff they market for said purpose. Keep in mind that you want to make sure you buy the kind made from real sugar.
It's in my Girl Scout first aid kit.

unclehobart

My auto first aid kit: (said in McGuyver voice)

morphine styrette
hot pink shoelaces
10 y/o pack of m&m's
chewing gum foils
20 deutchmarks
a slightly warped Ethel Merman record.

I can handle anything.

tonksy

It would...but the bottle is clear and the sunlight may effect the sugar crystals over time.

MrBishop

Nice add-on...thanks, Tonks.
*I actually have a few satchels of sugar in my car, but that's mostly leftovers from coffee orders. :p

BB

Booze.

A flask of brandy or whiskey (or jack Daniels / bourbon etc by your preference).

If we are gonna include the tube of cake decorating gel :rofl: then we better add an inflatable head cushion.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Ummm...A hot exhaust manifold will do wonders cauterizing an open wound...A serpentine belt can be used as a tourniquet...

chcr

Too cute for words
What about the axe, hacksaw, plastic garbage bags and shov...

Wait, maybe that's just me.

Note that I have always kept matches and tinder in my car since i was noce reduced to lighting a campfire with a car lighter and a roman candle.