Is a BB Gun a good idea to buy for a 10 year olds birthday?

Winky said:
CB my condolences regarding your upbringing.

Why?

Surely the fact I can not think of a time when I was presented with a dangerous item or situation must mean one of two things...

• I was trusted enough to take on such situations without a constant barrage of "be careful" "Don't get/do/go..." therefore such times do not stick in my mind.
  • I never had exposure to any danger at all

The latter I find very very unlikely as I am in no way "unstreetsmart" and I'm very prone to risk taking!

so here is my conundrum....if you say to your kid "sure, i'll by you this airgun even though the law says you are too young", what kind of lesson is that to your kid. next it'll be that R rated movie that you sneak him into, then he'll want cigarettes, next a beer? if it's against the law then no. just no.

I was about 7 when I first tried a beer, and about 8-9 when I tried brandy (almost none of it in the drink thou) :shrug:

Luis G said:
I was about 7 when I first tried a beer, and about 8-9 when I tried brandy (almost none of it in the drink thou) :shrug:
tried, sure. i have a picture of me downing a milwaukees best at 2 but i mean where do you draw the line? illegal gun, illegal movie, illegal smokes, then illegal booze. if you buy the one how can you justify not buying the other?

tonksy said:
so here is my conundrum....if you say to your kid "sure, i'll by you this airgun even though the law says you are too young", what kind of lesson is that to your kid. next it'll be that R rated movie that you sneak him into, then he'll want cigarettes, next a beer? if it's against the law then no. just no.

That's a good point, although IMO this law oughtta be changed. 10's old enough for a single pump airgun. The ones that go to 10 or 20 pumps and have the power of a .22 LR are a different story.

In addition, if you give your kid any kind of gun and don't give him proper safety and handling training, you need to be flogged. Like any tool, there's a right and a wrong way to use these. It's YOUR job, as the parent, to teach your kid the difference. If you fail in that and endanger the rest of us, it ought to be your ass on the line for it.

All that being said, illegal is illegal. Not until the law is corrected.

HomeLAN said:
All that being said, illegal is illegal. Not until the law is corrected.

Yeah ya move to AZ where it's still legal to wear your six-gun on your hip!

My brother and I both were taught safe firearm handling by the time we were 10.
However, and this is a BIG however, we never were allowed to fire a weapon -- BB guns included, unless we were out at my grandfather's farm. We went to the back 50 acres, and only there could we shoot.

If there is nowhere safe to shoot, don't buy one.

TexasRaceLady said:
My brother and I both were taught safe firearm handling by the time we were 10.
However, and this is a BIG however, we never were allowed to fire a weapon -- BB guns included, unless we were out at my grandfather's farm. We went to the back 50 acres, and only there could we shoot.

If there is nowhere safe to shoot, don't buy one.

And the weapons were probably kept, if not at the farm, then out of your control. Right?

Winky said:
Yeah ya move to AZ where it's still legal to wear your six-gun on your hip!

Fuckin' A brother. I miss that. Here, it's illegal to have a weapon off of your property without an issued permit. Guess who issues the permits? It sure ain't Wal-Mart.

Permit sure-mitt!
The 'right to keep and bear arms' has been so infringed that people on this board are propounding the wunderfulness of a law that prohibits fricken BB guns WTF?!?

People, listen to yourselves!!!

Professur said:
And the weapons were probably kept, if not at the farm, then out of your control. Right?

Absolutely, Professur.

And woe be unto us if we even dared to think about getting them down. LOL

Winky said:
Permit sure-mitt!
The 'right to keep and bear arms' has been so infringed that people on this board are propounding the wunderfulness of a law that prohibits fricken BB guns WTF?!?

People, listen to yourselves!!!

Winky, I'm not against BB guns. I had my back patio doors broken several times by children who had no business shooting in a neighborhood.

I'm preaching responsibility.

TexasRaceLady said:
Absolutely, Professur.

And woe be unto us if we even dared to think about getting them down. LOL

And there, ladies and gentlemen, is the answer. Giving a child a weapon does not mean letting him keep it in his room. It's his, yes. Under the parent's control. If he only has it when his parents are supervising, it's not a danger .... is it? Not to mention the benefit that .... HE'D BE SPENDING TIME WITH A PARENT NOT WATCHING TV, OR PLAYING NINTENDO

Unfortunately, everyone lined up behind the idea that he'd be roaming the neighbourhood with it, unsupervised. Because his parents would be enraptured with Days of someone else's freaking made up Lives. (Not at you Staff)

TexasRaceLady said:
And woe be unto us if we even dared to think about getting them down.

That's what I'm talking about!

Tonks, that is part of what is wrong these days.
They make laws that no one on their right mind would pay attention too. Respect for the law? Bah

Winky said:

They make laws that no one on their right mind would pay attention too. Respect for the law? Bah

Minor restatement, if I may.

They make laws that shouldn't be needed if parents did their fucking jobs.

Winky said:

i agree with the stupidity of the law. it should be fought through the proper channels but thumbing your nose at the law is not something to instill in your children. i thumb my nose at the law on a daily basis (pot) but i sure as shooting don't involve and will never involve my children in my doing so. it's just not a good ethic to teach your kids.

Back