Is this "acceptable"...

1. 48 (so far) and have never used the "If you really loved me" trick. (In fact, immediately ended any relationship where it was used on me)
2. It's my experience that people who don't trust you in a relationship are in fact the ones who cannot be trusted.

Like Les says, you need to seriously assess your relationship here. The first thing a long term relationship is based on is trust, yours and theirs. If you don't have both, you don't have the basis for anything more than a romp in the sack (not that that's a bad thing, just don't have illusions about it).

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

but I've made so many bad choices and decisions in the past often I need to be steered in the right direction
Women say that after being beaten half to death for the umpteenth time.

Leslie said:
Women say that after being beaten half to death for the umpteenth time.

I think this situation is slightly different... but I know what you're trying to say.

I guess I know that what I've done is for the best... the very thought of the hurt I caused Adrian makes me sick... and the thought that I no longer have to think of my ex as my responsibility makes me feel... like a weight has been lifted. I no longer feeol obliged to respond to him... if I don't feel its right.

If I may, allow me to add a similar story of my own, and what it taught me.

My first wife (henceforth to be referred to as The Beast) and I divorced quite amicably in 2001. She moved about 250 miles away, back where she grew up and was comfortable. We have seen one another one time since, shortly after the divorce became final, to clear up some financial matters and such.

The Beast was and likely remains highly codependent. She has some serious issues in her life to deal with, not the least of which is a schizophrenic mother. As I have said on here before, I used to be a mental health therapist and worked in that field for over five years. For some time after our divorce, we emailed one another periodically (maybe once a month or so), she called me a few times when her mother went a little further off the deep end than normal, or when matters related to our marriage required it. Things like needing something from income tax records when one of us purchased a vehicle, credit records, things like that. At no time was there any real discourse regarding our marriage. We were both where we wanted to be, and were making new starts.

Eventually, The Beast met someone and ended up marrying this chap. I too met someone, we lived together for a couple of years before getting married. My current wife was initially OK with the limited contact between The Beast and I. For my part, I never initiated this contact unless vital, and never made a single attempt to conceal it. Usually, my (now) wife would be present when I read any emails from The Beast.

Then things started getting weird. The Beast and her beau bought a house...less than three miles from the one she and I owned...built by the same builder...same floor plan...almost same color schemes. Kinda weird, but maybe she just ain't all that creative, right? There were several other little things like that which I found pitiful, and my wife found disturbing. Then she got a dog...same breed as mine, a Basset Hound. While never cruel to my dog, The Beast showed only passing interest in him when we were together. Mine I named Elvis (he ain't nuthin' but a hound dog...); she named hers Presley. That was it.

My wife and I talked, and she let me know that things were starting to freak her out. Too much re-creating the prior marriage in her new one. After we talked it out, I composed an email to The Beast and told her that I though it was time to move on and begin breaking the remaining ties. The reply I got was, shall we say, disturbing. That's when my current wife took over, with my full blessing. The email she sent to The Beast was very clear in its spirit. Needless to say, there has been no more contact, and I don't anticipate any more.

Point being, one can indeed hold on to former flames for a time. Some, I hear, manage somehow to remain not only civil but actual friends after parting ways. More power to them. My experience tells me it ain't worth it. There comes a time when memories need to be no more than that...memories. While I understand your beau's feelings, I do have concerns as to his method. Seems a bit forceful and domineering. If that is a product of his frustration, that's one thing. If it's more a product of his standard personality, that's quite another.

It's entirely your business, and how you handle it is entirely your choice. You know the people involved far better than I. But since you asked for opinions, I gave ya one. Hopefully, your X is not as...umm....challenged as mine was/is. Good luck with it, and whatever you do, do it for yourself, not someone else. So long as you do that, the rest will work itself out.

Oh, and if that time ever comes with the current beau....make sure you return the favor with an equally appropriate text message. :evilcool:

unclehobart said:
I'm 35 and have never used the 'If you love me' gambit.
Aye, same here. You may not think it's a mind game but then again that's part of the game, isn't it? I find it completely unacceptable to use that kind of tactics against someone you supposedly "love". Now, what he demanded wasn't really that out of line, just the method he used.

seems like Adrian is a jealous controlling person. You should be allowed to sya hello to an ex and such. As long as(unless you and current have an open relationship) nothing else happens. Sorry but the whole situation seems like Adrian is really just controlling as some others have pointed out. Particularly Aarons If you love me quote

ClaireBear said:
Then you must be very secure within your relationships...

That is how a relationship, as opposed to a dating partner, is defined.

Gonz said:
That is how a relationship, as opposed to a dating partner, is defined.

What must be understood is this...Your partner will occasionally do something that will piss you off. How you, or your partner, react to that is what will make, or break, a relationship. Nobody can say how you should act, or react, but keep this in mind...if you hadn't thought something was a little awry, then why are you asking for advice. For the record, I'm just curious. ;)

CB said:
We're both insecure

In 4000 size font, print that on a banner & hang it somewhere you see many times per day. Do not ignore it....the problem lies within that phrase. The problem with the current beau is his, this is yours. You may need to stop dating & work on improving yourself before you can find an improved somebody else.

Gato_Solo said:
Nobody can say how you should act, or react, but keep this in mind...if you hadn't thought something was a little awry, then why are you asking for advice. For the record, I'm just curious. ;)

I guess it was a bit of a shock for me... it was so out of character for Adrian... the way he reacted... very emotional, wound up... panicked almost. I've never seen him like that.

I dunno... I've just never experienced anything like this before... my other blokes were a lot less "impassioned" about me... I've certainly never invoked the response I got from Adrian... he was close to tears

Well...ya know what? Either Claire is absolutely right in her him-defensive posts, and he's perfectly wonderful with only her best interests at heart, and he's using the right means to ensure she "sees the light", or she's already too deep in it and what we say will fall on deaf ears till she hits bottom...so saying anything else on the matter is pointless.

Leslie said:
Well...ya know what? Either Claire is absolutely right in her him-defensive posts, and he's perfectly wonderful with only her best interests at heart, and he's using the right means to ensure she "sees the light", or she's already too deep in it and what we say will fall on deaf ears till she hits bottom...so saying anything else on the matter is pointless.

I wouldn't say pointless Leslie...

You've definitely given me food for thought... I seriously can't base a judgement off one incident that may for all intents and purposes sound very bad but at least I'm aware of what underlying nasties may be behind it and will be mindful in furture.

So definitely not pointless...

chcr said:
1. 48 (so far) and have never used the "If you really loved me" trick. (In fact, immediately ended any relationship where it was used on me)
2. It's my experience that people who don't trust you in a relationship are in fact the ones who cannot be trusted.

Like Les says, you need to seriously assess your relationship here. The first thing a long term relationship is based on is trust, yours and theirs. If you don't have both, you don't have the basis for anything more than a romp in the sack (not that that's a bad thing, just don't have illusions about it).

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

:thumbsup:

One more here that never used the "if you loved me" crap. That's a huge signal to run as far and fast as possible.

I can only add to what others have said. What he did was WRONG. He had no RIGHT to force you to send that text. No RIGHT to emotionally wrangle you to do so. Claire, it is imperative that you start making your own social network, your own friends. Because if you're not careful, you could end up on a controlling relationship, with no one to turn to.

After having just found this thread and seen it in full (Claire: :p) I have to agree with what everyone here has said. Admittedly I am a little emotionally insecure at times but I have never been driven to use the phrase 'You'd do it if you loved me'. That right there is the most manipulative phrase in existence to guilt or panic people into doing what you them to do i.e. a stable relationship no-no.

If he is pulling that on you Claire, you need to stop and re-evaluate where this relationship is going. Everything may seem fine and dandy but if he is saying things like that, is it really? I mean you did nothing that, if I were in his position, would make me question your feelings given you explained everything as you did.

Raven said:
After having just found this thread and seen it in full (Claire: :p)

*CB decides to buy Stew some specs for Christmas... * :rolleyes:

I have to agree with what everyone here has said. Admittedly I am a little emotionally insecure at times but I have never been driven to use the phrase 'You'd do it if you loved me'. That right there is the most manipulative phrase in existence to guilt or panic people into doing what you them to do i.e. a stable relationship no-no.

The actual phrase was... ahem... "I think it would be a good way to let me know just how much you really do care for me"... same thing though really ain't it?

If he is pulling that on you Claire, you need to stop and re-evaluate where this relationship is going. Everything may seem fine and dandy but if he is saying things like that, is it really? I mean you did nothing that, if I were in his position, would make me question your feelings given you explained everything as you did.

Pulling? He pulled... its a one off... so far.

And maybe I'm slightly biased in my interpretation... according to my sister my blushing and wide eyedness of uncomfort around my ex looked very much like desire... :shrug:

But thanks for the imput... you've all opened my eyes to what may become a problem... re: further discussion last night I'm not worried... alot of what went on was lager, wine and bacardi fuelled...

Back