it's the thought that counts

Is my sister a cheapass?

• No, she really does mean well

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Yes, she's an idiot

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters
This is your kids sister, no? I would have to reserve judgement until I knew what her cashflow was. If she is a frigteningly broke high school/college student... then I would let it slide.

That's what I was thinking. It would depend on her financial situation - if money was tight, I would smile and say "thank you" and be happy she thought of me, but if she's flush or rollin' in the dough, a bootleg copy of a CD is kinda tacky. :shrug:

Call me cynical ..but i think this poll might be biased ...

whaddya reckon Spike? :D

Nowt wrong with potatoe wine ....

For Xmas, I'd say no, a proper gift is more appropriate. Even if she bought the CD, made herself an offsite backup copy, and gave it to him for redundant archival.

But as a random gift, sure, burned CDs are fine. 23 nearly creamed her pants when I burned her Roger Waters' discography on Black Friday.

A number of years ago, I was pretty broke. My brother in law really liked this one gal, Norah Jones. I dl'd the album, burned to a CD and made labels with a program I also dl'd :D I spent a lot of time making it look nice. It was all I could do. That was my situation at the time.

I think if we start to analyze and judge the meaning or motives when receiving a gift, we will be disappointed much of the time.

I don't know her, but perhaps, in her mind, this was a great idea and that it would make him happy.

OR she's just cheap and lazy, in which case, you should feel sorry for her.

A number of years ago, I was pretty broke. My brother in law really liked this one gal, Norah Jones. I dl'd the album, burned to a CD and made labels with a program I also dl'd :D I spent a lot of time making it look nice. It was all I could do. That was my situation at the time.

I think if we start to analyze and judge the meaning or motives when receiving a gift, we will be disappointed much of the time.

I don't know her, but perhaps, in her mind, this was a great idea and that it would make him happy.

OR she's just cheap and lazy, in which case, you should feel sorry for her.
The bold parts would demonstrate "thought". If you gave him this gift because You really liked NJ, and he might.. Not so thoughtful. ;)

This is your kids sister, no? I would have to reserve judgement until I knew what her cashflow was. If she is a frigteningly broke high school/college student... then I would let it slide.

I thought I commented on this but I can't find it ...

My sister works at a local drugstore.
She lives at home with my parents.
My parents bought her my uncle's old truck.
My parents pays her car insurance.
She has a cell phone because she's on my parents' family plan.

What does she do with her paychecks?
She saves them up to buy herself COACH purses. She has about 3 now.

Yes. If I sound bitter and jaded, I am.

If she did, he'll never know. If he never asks her out, then there's DEFINITELY no way he'll ever get in her panties.

Okay this needs to be asked ,who actually buys stuff for an "inlaw"??? I can see buying a present for my wifes siblings or her for mine ,but the spouse of sibling?I would tend to get a family/group gift then ,not for a specific person.If you come from a small family then maybe ,but with six brothers/sisters(my case) ,this could get out of hand quickly.

Okay this needs to be asked ,who actually buys stuff for an "inlaw"??? I can see buying a present for my wifes siblings or her for mine ,but the spouse of sibling?I would tend to get a family/group gift then ,not for a specific person.If you come from a small family then maybe ,but with six brothers/sisters(my case) ,this could get out of hand quickly.

Uh, you buying a gift for the missus' sibling (your sibling in-law) is THE SAME as Ku'u's sister buying a gift for Ku'us husband (her brother-in-law) unless you would think it was weird for your missus' sibling to buy you a gift but not weird for you to buy them a gift.

I think what you're saying is it would be a bit extreme for you to buy a gift specifically for your missus' sibling's spouse...but that's not the situation ku'u was talking about. That situation would be ku'u's sister's spouse (when she gets one) and ku'us husband.

That situation would be ku'u's sister's spouse (when she gets one) and ku'us husband.
If Kuu were buying the gift yes,but Kuu's sister is buying(burning) a gift for her siblings spouse(kuu's husband).In so doing the sister is going beyond what most of us would do IMO.

Back