Joining the ranks of the Unemployed™

Professur

It's who you know that gets your foot in the door, but it's still what you know that saves you from having it crushed in there.

MrBishop

Having a sturdy portfolio helps pry that door open a bit more as well..and is handy in H2H combat with belligerent HR people :)

valkyrie

Having a sturdy portfolio helps pry that door open a bit more as well..and is handy in H2H combat with belligerent HR people :)
HR people do not know who to hire. They have a list of specific qualifications but do not have an understanding of how skills are applied to meet those qualifications. Get your resume in the hands of the management who is hiring. That's what you use the "who you know" for.

MrBishop

HR people do not know who to hire. They have a list of specific qualifications but do not have an understanding of how skills are applied to meet those qualifications. Get your resume in the hands of the management who is hiring. That's what you use the "who you know" for.

Don't I know it. I've read job postings that ask for 3-5 years experience with a piece of software that'd only been on the market for 2 years :rofl:

The HR people do like the pretty pictures :drool: and often stand in between the real people you want to see and yourself. Not always the case tho' I've cold-called marketing managers and gotten interviews before. It's frustrating sometimes because they aren't hiring then, but at least it gets me seen and puts a face to go with the CV.