latin words used in english?

Lopan said:
Not in Rome. It was a written languange for the elite (remember very few people read back then) It didn't become spoken until christianity was adopted as the main religion in 600 ad. Reference a book called Gracchi to Nero, it will tell you in there.

So it was spoken. :p

Over here it was taught to everybody some 40 years ago, and masses (??) were entirely in latin.

When the Catholic Church dropped the Latin masses, all hell broke loose.

Luis G said:
So it was spoken. :p

Over here it was taught to everybody some 40 years ago, and masses (??) were entirely in latin.

Only in church. Not that the peasants understood. They spoke Olde English.

so, Age. Fac ut gaudeam :headbng2:

Lopan said:

All right, perhaps my latin history knowledge is not so wide, but I do know that spanish, portuguese, french and italian are 4 major languages whose main origin was Latin. If latin wasn't spoken then how come the average people ended up speaking such romantic languages?

Lopan said:

I'm curious as to what language all those roman legionaires were speaking in Londinium?

Professur said:
I'm curious as to what language all those roman legionaires were speaking in Londinium?

Roman :lol2: they spoke their regional language or if they were auxilliaries they spoke the language of their country.

After doing a bit of research, Latin was a spoken in the form of vulgar latin (no such thing as roman :p), and everything written was formal latin. So you're partially right and wrong Lopan.

Lopan said:
Roman :lol2: they spoke their regional language or if they were auxilliaries they spoke the language of their country.

guess they weren't as rabid as the quebec goverment about language

Beelzebush%20Meets%20The%20Uber%20Plebs_Romani%20Ite%20Domum%20%5BRomans%20Go%20Home%5D_RESIZED.jpg

Romans go home!

Back