What's the good investment here?

• Gas

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Electric

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Pushy thing

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
I want to try and replicate Orange Julius this summer. Now that would be a rockin' lemonade stand.

I'm thinking for cheapness, and ease of use (considering the yard is flatter than a pancake but for the rodent holes), and storage, and the astoundingly diminished danger factor (considering the operator), I may just for now try out the pushy thing. Can't beat a hundred bucks plus GST and PST. And I could resell it if I hate it, right?

Leslie said:
I want to try and replicate Orange Julius this summer. Now that would be a rockin' lemonade stand.

Orange Julius recipe

Scale ingredients to servings

6 oz frozen orange juice
250 ml milk
250 ml water
65 ml sugar
5 ml vanilla

Blend all ingredients in a blender with ten ice cubes for 30 seconds. Serve immediately.

i tried clicking the links, but they wouldnt do anything (i'm at work)

there are small rechargable electric mowers designed for small lots. they also make rechargable electric carts for yard work too.

Winky said:
Told ya my Wife IS taller than you Geez ya shrimp

so were three quarters of the wimmens I boned over the years. Including a 6'+ amazon in college. What's your point?

I got a gas mower for free when I moved in here. My front yard is a pretty decent size, though. It's hard to beat free... especially when it's from someone who takes care of his stuff... and included two spare blades, a spare spark plug, spare belts, etc.

I haven't seen a two-stroke engine on a lawn mower since... well, ever. But, then again, I grew up in California and four-strokes pollute less. Two-stroke engines are common on weed eaters though.

I got a gas mower and a gas string trimmer (we call it the 'weed whacker', dunno what real name is)

The engine displacement isn't anything notable, probably about the same as the Honda Fit, but it does fine for the grass. Sure beats having to get extension cords.

Only extra effort is draining the gas tank in late fall and refilling it in early spring.

The gas weed whacker is up in Vermont. Serious use there. The lawn is a thirty degree incline and is mostly rock. We use it around the driveway, on the lawn, near the dock, in the woods, everywhere.

At home, the weed whacker is electric. For the use we put on it, it's not worth having to do all the engine maintenence and mixing the two-stroke fuel.

Got like a quarter acre in Jersey, I think. Acre is what, ~200x200 feet? Think the Jersey lot is 100x100 or so. Vermont has to be at least an acre, maybe two. The house and the lawn only makes up about a half to a quarter acre, then there's at least twice that of forest.

MrBishop said:
I had a gas mower and switched to electric a while back. The smell of gas fumes and exhaust was ruining the whole experience for me. The push mower...although ecologically sound and all that, was a pain in the buttocks.

Lent me, Prof? I was sure you'd given it to me...something about getting more exercise, although that was a while back. I think that its at my folx's place.
Older generation mowers were poorly built and did put off tons of exhaust. Mine does not. It puts off no noticable smoke either in sight or smell. Perhaps yours was just wickedly out of tune?

Low emission mowers

what is this world coming too?

Next good gas mileage will be a selling point?

Altron:
1. You don't have to drain the gas in the fall, they make a stabilizer for just this purpose. Pour it in, run the engine for five minutes and you done. Works great.
2. My weed-whacker is a four stroke. It also has interchangeable ends so I can use it as an edger, a cultivator, etc...

Bish:
I have a gas lawn tractor, a gas push mower and a gas trimmer. None of them put out a noticeable amount of smoke or smell and they're 13+ years old. Gotta do a tune up from time to time ;).

chcr said:
Bish:
I have a gas lawn tractor, a gas push mower and a gas trimmer. None of them put out a noticeable amount of smoke or smell and they're 13+ years old. Gotta do a tune up from time to time ;).

Every 13-15 hours, according to the book. I use Stab all year round. Straight into the gas when I buy it. That keeps the gas in the shed good too. The chainsaw gets 'treated' to 2-stroke tune up juice every spring and fall.

Back