leasing vs. buying

Gonz said:
You: We'll pay you XXX for that car.

Salesman:No can do.

You: Ok, the guy down the road can. BuhBye.

Yup. Do the research where Sharky showed you, and this is the tack to take. If he refuses, you know where the door is. The key is being willing to use it - don't bluff.

I've bought my last two this way, and they've both beaten the deals other folks have gotten.

HomeLAN said:
Yup. Do the research where Sharky showed you, and this is the tack to take. If he refuses, you know where the door is. The key is being willing to use it - don't bluff.

I've bought my last two this way, and they've both beaten the deals other folks have gotten.

Also...make sure you have transportation both to, and from, the dealership. Sales people like nothing better than making you wait. I had that happen to me...once. You should've seen them, when I started walking off the lot.

Sales person: "Where are you going? I thought you were going to buy a car."

Gato:"I was, till you started acting like I have more time than you do. I'm off to the nearest pay phone to call a cab."

Sales person:" Look, we can still make a deal..."

Gato: "Fuck off."

lcl051012.gif

they refuse to even sell you the car, as someone in the back phones Guido to come meet you as you leave.

SouthernN'Proud said:
Try it sometime. Lay hundred dollar bills on the hood of a car and see how much they'll come down.

It won't work because the credit company pays them the full price of the car right after you sign the credit papers.

So, in a way, they make much more profit by making you sign a credit than by making you pay in full at a lower price.

Luis G said:
It won't work because the credit company pays them the full price of the car right after you sign the credit papers.

HELLO!!!! If you pay cash, there ARE no credit papers!

And there is no "in a way" about it. They make tons more. But when you find a salesman who doesn't want a stack of hundred dollar bills, send him my way.

His point is that they get their money right away anyways. It's not like the old days when they actually did the financing within the dealership.

Depending on any special offers involved, they WANT you to finance. The financial arm of the manufacturer can actually penalize them if they don't get at least a few months of vig off the deal and you got any manufacturer's discounts.

SouthernN'Proud said:
No. I fail to see how handing someone a bucket of cash causes a delay in their receiving their money. Care to explain?

Ok, slowly

Once upon a time, car dealers actually carried the burden of financing themselves.

Today, they have a loan agent who works in the dealership and arranges bank loans for the purchase of the car.

Once upon a time, giving them a wad of cash meant that they had the money right now, but financing meant that they got a downpayment now, and had to wait on monthly payments from you.

Today, if you give them a wad of cash, it'll make it to the bank for deposit tomorrow. If you finance, the entire price of the car will be deposited into their account tomorrow, probably earlier than the cash deposit will.

Once upon a time, that big wad of cash was an incentive to lower the price. Today, it's irrelevant. They'd prefer a cashier's cheque.

Ah...y'all are buying NEW cars.

Suckers.

Ideally, one should never finance a depreciating asset. A car depreceiates. That $26,000 ride drops to around $20,000 the instant you drive it off the showroom floor. That's 6K plus X% interest you just lost.

I have never nor will ever own a new car. Vehicles depreciate. I'll let y'all take that hit, and go find me a three year old truck that one of you guys got tired of, lay cash on the hood, and be done with it.

I tend to ride that boat myself. But then, you're buying a vehicle that, for some reason, someone wanted rid of. And it's usually carrying no warranty. I've paid extra for a 3 month warranty and it paid me back, with interest. If the guy's really adamant about not warrantying it, that's usually a bad sign.

Precisely why I make every effort to have a grease monkey along when I check the vehicle out.

People trade cars every day in perfect condition. They just HAVE to have a new one, because the neighbor got one.

Suckers.

With all the services available to the consumer today, such as carfax and whatnot, buying a lemon takes effort. Knowing your dealer also helps. I don't buy online, and I don't buy from want ads.

Tell ya what I'll do. I'll be ready to buy me a truck in probably four years or so. If we're all around then, we'll do some comparison. One of y'all go finance something, I'll go my way. Then five years later, let's see who got hosed.

Millionaires don't finance cars. They didn't stop when they became rich, they became rich when they stopped living on credit.

Back